Eifs

Les

I don't see much eifs here in my area. I have done a bit of reading, attended some classes, but can't consider myself an expert.

I have a single story concrete block commercial building abt 45yrs old. About 10years ago eifs was applied on block (can't see how or why) and looks to be doing what it is supposed to do. Few minor impact spots, but overall pretty good looking.

All the areas that can't be seen from the ground have only the fiberglass mesh and a single coat holding the mesh with no finish coat of material. you can see the mesh in abt 90% of surface. Some of the mesh is not secure or covered, just laying there.

Can this area be covered with material now? Would the foam likely be deteriorated? etc.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20138911145_P8070186.jpg

67.61 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201389111524_P8070183.jpg

23.3 KB

how thick should be finish coat typically be?

I used the stuff on a couple of concrete block buildings 30 odd years ago. It's still there, apparently doing what we intended it to do. We patched some of the areas where it delam'ed, patches are still OK.

No doubt, there's water in there somewhere, but it's concrete block, not wood frame/OSB/WDO Food. Lots less opportunity for problems.

What about mold/mildew anywhere at the interior? See anything funky?

(I have been informed by a subcontractor that the term is pronounced "ee fus".)

Kurt, can't help but ask - was it Rufus that splained ee fus?

I am fairly comfortable with substrate, given what I can see. My concern is the thickness of second coat and the lack of a second coat. I'm really thinking that any tradesperson that skimped on the first layer, certainly cut some other corners. Every visible (easy view) surface looked ok and had second layer.

Exposed EPS foam board would have degraded far too much to bond properly with base coat.

I'm not aware of any reason why the base coat would no longer be a suitable bonding surface, though irregularities such as exposed mesh should be fixed before applying a finish coat.

The manufacturer of the finish coat specifies the appropriate thickness of finish to apply.

As Kurt opined, little reason to suspect EIFS-sourced moisture issues when applied to mass-walls such as block.

I haven't been updated on EIFS since 2008, so I might be plumb off my rocker.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't been here in a while either.

Kurt it's EEE F SSSS

That's long E slight F and hold the S there is no short u or short i sound just long E and run the F & S together.

Sometimes I pronounce it wrong so people understand what I am talking about.

So much for the pronunciation lesson.

I am sure the OP has found the answer but if not I would recommend getting a professional evaluation of the EIF system