Request for inspection contracts

I've just put together a rough overhaul of Louisiana's SOP and have started reviewing how well it coalesces with various designs of inspection contracts.

I have my own contract but I'd like samples of other contracts to better fill in the gaps in my understanding of the basic elements of both good SOPs and good contract writing.

If anyone is willing to go thru the trouble of sending me a copy, pls PM me for my Email address. Word format is best but I'll take pdfs too.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Lots of responses to my requests for contracts. Thanks fellas!

If anyone's curious, I've attached a pdf of the LA SOP that I've been wrangling with for a few days.

The content isn't changed much except for new language for the Performance Specification. Mostly what I've done is replaced the Electrical, Structural, Exterior, etc categories with a Scope and within that Scope are Performance Specifications and Prescriptive Specifications sub-headings.

After spending a little time on Contracts, I'll go back and review the content of the SOP.

Maybe it's just a case of too-much-time-on-my-hands but I like to think I've a chance of making an improvement.

Marc

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif SOP Suggestion.pdf

174.08 KB

If anyone's curious, I've attached a pdf of the LA SOP that I've been wrangling with for a few days.

The content isn't changed much except for new language for the Performance Specification. Mostly what I've done is replaced the Electrical, Structural, Exterior, etc categories with a Scope and within that Scope are Performance Specifications and Prescriptive Specifications sub-headings.

After spending a little time on Contracts, I'll go back and review the content of the SOP.

Maybe it's just a case of too-much-time-on-my-hands but I like to think I've a chance of making an improvement.

Marc

174.08?KB

Marc, was this the actual document you must adhere to and use? the definitions are really bad. So bad that I can see them not being adhered to at all.

Also, section 315.1 - what the heck does that mean?

I can't remember every state regulation, however don't recall La being this bad.

Marc, is the state revising their SOP?

When LA developed their SOP, Sidney Chaisson worked on them and if I recall ended up using a version of the ASHI SOP's (as most states have done over the years). Sidney was on the first state board and lives in Baton Rouge, LA.

Scott, that SOP is just a version of the actual one that's on the books. All I had done by that time was to re-arrange the content under a different set of headings/subheadings. I've since done some work on the content, including definitions.

I see Sidney every once in a while, don't talk much anymore. Yeah, he used a version of the ASHI SOP. Like you opined, just about everyone has. It hasn't changed much since then. Our Board meets about 3 or 4 hours, four times a year. Can hardly consider even the smallest of SOP changes in such little time, hence my dinking around with it. Don't know if it'll ever see the light of day. Don't know for sure how I could sell it.

Marc

Marc

174.08?KB

Marc, was this the actual document you must adhere to and use? the definitions are really bad. So bad that I can see them not being adhered to at all.

Also, section 315.1 - what the heck does that mean?

I can't remember every state regulation, however don't recall La being this bad.

Les, that document is an altered version of what is now in place in Louisiana. It's a work in progress. The one I posted...I had not yet touched the definitions.

I'm relieved that at least one person agrees that the definitions are bad. I think they're horrible.

Section 315 is my own creation and remains a work in progress. A Board member became successful a few years back in adding a line to the SOP that requires inspector to test automatic garage door operators and confirm that they function. He left out the dang method. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what plaintiff's attorneys love to encounter in the courtroom - an ambiguous SOP. Section 315 would concern the use of standards, such as CPSC's document 305 (the 2X4 method of testing garage door openers). I may add other standards later.

Check out these definitions I came up with this AM:

Home Inspection - An evaluation of two or more of the following on a residential resale property:

a. Any number of the components comprising the electrical installation including smoke/fire alarms but excluding smoke/fire alarm systems and all other wiring that functions at less than 120 volts nominal.

b. Any number of centrally ducted heating and/or cooling systems.

c. Any number of the components making up the plumbing installation.

d. Any portion of exterior wall finish including immediately related components such as flashing, sealants, etc.

e. Any number of wall or roof components including interior/exterior doors, windows and skylights.

f. Any portion of interior finish including either finishes on the ceiling, wall or floor.

g. Any portion of portions of the roof covering including immediately related components such as flashing and roof jacks.

h. Any number of structural components including framing.

i. Any number of components installed primarily as a means of controlling or modifying the flow of heat, air or moisture through the floors, walls or ceilings of a structure.

j. Any number of permanently installed appliances including self-contained wall mounted heat/cool appliances but not including self-contained heat and/or cool appliances intended for window installation.

Home Inspection Report - A readable recording of the results of a home inspection, whether printed on paper or electronically.

Home Inspector - A person licensed by and in good standing with the Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors.

Keep in mind, nothing is finished. The whole thing is a work in progress and feedback is appreciated.

Marc