water pump/fountain

TimWhalen

I have a fountain in the yard that has a submerged pump that needs to run continuously.

I want to install a GFCI outlet nearby to handle the pump and nothing else. I also want this same outlet to be wired to a single pole switch inside the house. I can bring in the power anywhere.

Can someone point me in the direction of a wire diagram to handle this?

Thanks.

Don't know how it is in your town, but here installation of a branch circuit requires an electrician. Besides violating local code, your insurance probably won't cover any damage incurred.

Basically you don't know how to wire a switched outlet much less use the proper hardware for an outdoor installation and you want a wiring diagram.

Here's the point: Hire an electrician.

As a general rule, most places in the US allow homeowners to do electrical work on their own homes.

In many cases, adding a circuit will require a permit, though. If you go get the permit, the counter staff are usually happy to help with questions for do-it-yourselfers.

For your project, you'll need the proper type of cable, the proper burial depth, a proper way of protecting the cable in certain areas, a proper way to mount the outlet near the fountain, and, of course, a wiring diagram. You can get all this and more from a simple, easy to understand book called Wiring Simplified, by Richter & Schwan. I believe they sell it at the big box stores.

If you go get the permit, the counter staff are usually happy to help with questions for do-it-yourselfers.

Jim, this is interesting. Where I live the counter staff won't tell you anything more than which version of the code they enforce.

That's exactly what I thought. Even getting them to acknowledge there's a version can be impossible.

CBD guy's usually refuse to give information without an FIA request, and then they send it over to DCAP or somewhere else as a subterfuge.

Living in IRC land must be nice.

If you go get the permit, the counter staff are usually happy to help with questions for do-it-yourselfers.

Jim, this is interesting. Where I live the counter staff won't tell you anything more than which version of the code they enforce.

Maybe I live in a particularly nice area. Across all of the jurisdictions I come across, the building department staff tend to be very cordial to homeowners who are doing their own work. They like to see people pull permits for this stuff, so they do what they can to encourage them.

They don't always behave that way toward contractors, though. If you're a pro and you submit something stupid, they tend to have little patience with you.

I'm sure you can do better than this guy from this PM. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_20143271327_outlet1.jpg

31.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201432713230_outlet2.jpg

34.32 KB

We see ignorant stuff every day and maybe this is why some peoeple are not so free with the free advice. On the other hand, if someone wants to learn, the info is readily available, probably in a U-tube video.