Are These IC-type Recessed Cans?

gfield

Newby question here, I know, but this is how I learn.

I understand that in general, if a recessed can is unpainted, it is IC type.

The can shown below is from an inspection this morning and is unpainted, but I could find no identifying marks on it to confirm that it is IC type. Is it?

<a href=IMG344_zpsc579c5d8.jpg' alt='IMG344_zpsc

Note also the wood shavings on top of the insulation near the can. I could find no obvious cause for these shavings. Any theories on what that means?

Thanks!

The can shown below is from an inspection this morning and is unpainted, but I could find no identifying marks on it to confirm that it is IC type. Is it?

Remove the trim and look inside the can for a label. It might tell you what you need to know.

Note also the wood shavings on top of the insulation near the can. I could find no obvious cause for these shavings. Any theories on what that means?

Thanks!

Somebody dumped some wood shavings in the attic thinking it was a good idea.

Marc

Remove the trim and look inside the can for a label. It might tell you what you need to know.

Thanks!

Somebody dumped some wood shavings in the attic thinking it was a good idea.

Marc

Thanks. I'll see if I can get access again.

In my experience that's not true. It would be nice if it was. You've got to look for a label inside the can. This label will tell you whether or not it's IC rated, depending on what kind of trim kit is installed with the can. Then you have to figure out which trim is which and compare it to the label. This assumes, of course, that the label hasn't been completely covered by spray-on texture or paint.

In my experience that's not true. It would be nice if it was. You've got to look for a label inside the can. This label will tell you whether or not it's IC rated, depending on what kind of trim kit is installed with the can. Then you have to figure out which trim is which and compare it to the label. This assumes, of course, that the label hasn't been completely covered by spray-on texture or paint.

Thank-You, Jim. I'll keep what you said re: not being able to tell can type by finish in mind. I try to take nothing for granted, and so I was looking exhaustively for labels, on several individual but identical cans. I could find none.

Now, I'm worried and will have to try to get back in to the house to see if I can find labels inside the shrouding.

Live and learn.

Thanks!

As others have said, you have to look at the label to be sure. I think I.C. cans are usually or maybe almost always aluminum, and therefore would not need to be painted. So there may be some logic to paint vs. no paint, but I would not count on it.

Modern non-I.C. cans will usually have a warning label on the outside regarding 3" clearance to combustibles, but so do dual I.C./non-I.C. cans.

html>