Weird red gizmo on 220v well breakers

normtyler

Customer said he thinks his well is a "shared well", and this weird red gizmo is attached from the breakers back to the neutral bus. What the what?

Anyone seen one of these before? My guess is that maybe it is used to sense when the neighbor is powering the well and prevents simultaneous voltage supply? I have no other idea unless it's an early version of GFCI protection?

It's in a Federal Pacific box as a bonus

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014119142728_weird%20electric%20on%20Pump%20breaker.jpg

52.92 KB

Surge protector? Love the double taps......

The double taps are actually the surge protector connections. I do see an unmarked white being uses as hot though.

Is it required to color code the wire on a 240-volt circuit? I thought that only applied to relatively large gauge wires, but I'm not sure.

The top 20 amp breaker is interesting.

Surge protector? Love the double taps......

The double taps are actually the surge protector connections. I do see an unmarked white being uses as hot though.

Is it required to color code the wire on a 240-volt circuit? I thought that only applied to relatively large gauge wires, but I'm not sure.

The top 20 amp breaker is interesting.

I see 30 amp with a too small gauge wire on it. [:-thumbd]

Old installations, the color coding is irrelavent, not required back in the day. JMO, I am no authority on the NEC.