Hot water baseboard radiator runs in floor joists

Deuce

I found radiators in the floor joist of a basement. It doesn't seem right, yet I can't find anything that says you shouldn't. There is a lot of mold in the basement, I can't say if this is an added effect of the radiators or just that the basement is pretty wet. If anyone has any information or an opinion that would help I would appreciate it.

[:-magnify

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141123135444_Cropped%20radiator.jpg

98.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141123135837_Cropped%20Radiator%202.jpg

46.45 KB

They're unrelated. Radiators don't contribute water to the environment unless they're leaking.

There's a neighborhood in Chicago where some of the houses have this arrangement. Built in the 1920's-30's and a bit into the post WWII timeframe.

It works surprisingly well. I can imagine reasons why not to do it, but the houses I've been in work nicely.

Thanks for the information. I knew they didn't add water, just didn't know if warming a wet joist area would have helped the mold grow.

Warming a wet area will decrease the relative humidity and cause the area to dry - unless there's a dramatic source of water to keep it wet. In that case it will just make the water warm and increase the growth of mold.

Thanks for the information. I knew they didn't add water, just didn't know if warming a wet joist area would have helped the mold grow.

Sorry, I misunderstood. It'd have to be one whale of a soaker if the joists remain wet when the radiators are warming them.

How wet was it?

From the looks of it, I'd guess that the mold grows in the warmer months, when the heating system isn't being used and it's damp down there.

When the heating system kicks on, the increase in temperature lowers the relative humidity and things probably dry out down there - unless we're talking about an active plumbing leak or actual water on the floor.

With my satellite laser vision, I see an old perimeter drain system plugged full of silt and debris.

If they fix the drainage around the house, they will be able have a few controlled vents, and heat that space to dry it out.

I think a treatment to kill the mold is in order because a wood-eating fungus could be getting established in there. My laser vision can't pick out the spore prints yet. [:)]