What the hell?

Denray

A week or so ago my wife tells me that she and her mom want to change out the back door at her mom's house. Meaning I am. This door has been mounted with hinges on the exterior. The jam looks like I can just put in a new door on the interior side. Piece of cake. What the heck are those orange stains on the jam?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014122212653_rust.jpg

34.91 KB

Wait a minute. Is that jam metal? How am I going to cut a place for the hinge into it? Looks like I'll stick with the exterior hinges, but get the type where the pin can't be taken out. I bring the new door home with NPR hinges. WTF, how do I replace the hing when it's buried behind the metal jam?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141222121022_hinge.jpg

49.42 KB

I'm going to have to use the same worn hinges. So I cut the upper hinge deeper into the door edge to help suck it up tighter to the jam. It all worked out.

What would you have done? I never was a professional carpenter, but give me enough time and beer I sometimes figure a way. Plus the new door was an inch shorter so I added some length. Oh, and thicker too.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20141222121341_door%20out.jpg

40.06 KB