And baby makes three

My newest monitor just arrived. The clipboard with my handwritten notes will likely hang above the new MacBook and that takes care of three of the four sources of info I use for the reports. The report itself will be on the Mac.

Fourth source is my memory, or what's left of it.[:-bigeyes

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014122920759_DSCF7477.jpg

50.8 KB

Marc

It was disappointing at first because you learn quickly what you've lost in windows but learn only much later what you've gained in Mac. It took a month for me to realize it was the right move.

It'll still be quite a while before I find everything I need to manipulate data the way I want to, but I'm certain I'll find it.

This would not have worked on a 15" Macbook alone. I needed the extra extended monitors, but then that's probably just me.

Marc

It's a vastly superior operating system. I have my complaints, but Apple's universe of components and how they all integrate within a single operating system is so much nicer than dinking around with kludgy MS stuff.

The equipment is better too. I get more than twice the life out of my Macbook as I ever have out of any of the MS clones. I've also shown people how Mac's are actually less expensive if one considers lifespan and cost per month, and the fact that so much useful stuff comes loaded on the machine. MS comes loaded with crapware; Apple comes loaded with stuff I actually enjoy using. And the MS browser....IE....what a load of kludge.

I wish Google would come up with a complete operating system and universe of components that would run all software, not just Google stuff.

By turning down the screen brightness a bit, I've gotten >10 hours.

I can boot start my computer and it takes <10 seconds to be up and fully functional. From sleep, it's about 1-2 seconds.

Marc hit on an important note. Initially, one laments those few special little utility programs available to PC but not Mac. Then, as you learn the new operating system you keep discovering all the amazingly cool things that are included and that can be utilized to make your life really easy.

I made the switch from PC to a MAC book pro about 6 months ago and I will never go back. For me the learning curve painful.

Like Scott said, I love the fact it boots up in about 2 seconds. The battery lasts me about 8 hours.

I had been using Palmtech for about 7 years but they do not make a MAC version so I switched to Home Inspector Pro which also turned out to be a good move. Switching report writing software is such a big under taking I would not have done it unless I had to, even through I wanted to for several years.

I replaced my HDD with an SSD on my MS Vista about a year ago. It improved my boot up enormously but my Mac, also with an SSD, made a further improvement on that, a big one.

Boot up to the 'password request window' was clocked at ten to eleven seconds. Remainder of boot up (after typing in password) was under two seconds.

Shut down was under two seconds.

Marc

On the subject of upgrades...

FYI if you use Sprint.

We use Sprint cell phones in my house. The service for my area is about 98 percent as good as Verizon but we get unlimited everything for $50 per Iphone. (4 phones).

We were due for upgraded phones and went to the local Sprint company store to see what is available. We currently have 4s phones. The salesman at the Sprint store told us to check out the deal at Best Buy. The result is that we upgraded our phones to IPhone 5s's. The total cost was $4.00 plus sales tax of .28 for four new phones. No trade in needed so we have spare phones or can sell the old ones.