Anyone Members in Local Realtors Assoc.?

smartmove

[:-banghead]

I joined the local realtors assn last year and meet with them at local monthly meetings ~ 6-7 time a year. Have gotten 5-6 jobs thru these contacts, who have given buyers my card. I try not to rely on realtor ties, but being new (18 months),this has really been one of my best returns on the money spent.

What do ya'll think ?

What's working for you as far as associated memberships?

I just joined the local one at the end of last year. My best realtor is President this year, and she begged me to do it. Partly to help her boost the numbers a little, and partly so she can shamelessly promote me like she always does. She's never asked me for anything else, so I gave in. [:-indifferent]

I missed the first meeting (working), but a mortgage guy I know called me on my cell to tell me they had announced me as a new associate. I asked if anyone had puked or walked out. [:-yuck]

I may get something out of it, you never know. Lunch once a month at the Country Club, need it or not. [:-chef]

Brian G.

Don't Tell Anyone You Saw Me There [:-paperbag]

I don't get it?

What is this key access all about?

When I have an inspection, and realtors are involved, they either show up to provide access or provide me with the lock-box combination. I don't belong to any realtor association. If they want the house sold, and the agreement calls for an inspection, the ball (access) is in their court. I sure as hell ain't gonna pay $300 or even $5 to do their job for them.

George

Philosophiical differences aside I do market realtors and also belong to the local realtors board as an affilliate. I am only too happy to accept realtor referals so long as they don't attempt to comprimise the integrity of my job. Realtors will always be a part of the equation Uh-Oh, I'm drifting sorry. Here in S. Florida 95% of the lockboxes are the electronic ones. I rarely see the old combination boxes. Having an electronic key gives me some degree of flexibility in terms of scheduling particularly in cases where an out of town buyer won't attend the inspection. It also makes it easy to retrieve tools you may have left behind and don't tell me none of you have never done that.

NORM SAGE

I think it's a regional thing. I couldn't get lock box access if I wanted it (and I sure as hell don't want it). Either a real estate agent, a homeowner, or both are on the premises for every minute of every inspection around here. It makes my fairly complicated life just a little simpler when I'm left out of that loop. In fact, our licensing law says the homebuyer is responsible to arrange for access to the house.

Jim

I did belong to our local Realtor association for about five years, and I met a good number of people. My problem was with the association. I could not get a Supra/lock box key, and they would not offer any help to the home inspectors when we were battling the home builders over some licensing issues even though the Realtors all agreed that the home builders were wrong, they did not want to make the builders mad! So I and a couple of other home inspectors dropped out. I never noticed any decrease in my business from not being a member.

If they would allow me to have a Supra key I might reconsider and rejoin, although I don't know if I want to enter a home without an agent in tow.

Has anyone heard of or know about home inspectors being accused of misappropriations in a home when they were by themselves?

Just curious.

I'm kinda with George. (how's that for wishy washy)[:-drool] In Austin and Asociate member can get a Supra Key, but you have to get a code from the listing agent. To many hoops to jump through for me. I agree with George that the agents are getting paid to take care of the deal and that includes getting me into the house - then they can leave[:D]

I've never been accused of stealing anything, but I have left a $20.00 bill behind to cover the cost of a broken vase. Never heard a thing about it.

I've never had anyone even suggest I might have taken something, and I'm alone in the house 75% of the time (I wish it were 100%). The rest of the time it's just one of the sellers, home doing their normal thing. I have never had an agent hang around for one, Thank God. [:-angel]

The electronic keys they use here record who went in, and when. It can prove you weren't there when something happened just as easily as it can prove you were. I'd like to not have to deal with the realtor at all. Go straight to the sellers if they live in it, don't worry about it at all if it's empty.

Besides, once in a while there's a big nice house on the river for sale. I might want to have a party.... [:-party]

Brian G.

Down at the River [:-pirate]

We personally are not associated in any way with the realtors associations.

As far as the lock box key. We also feel that it is the realtors responsibility to open the house. When a realtor tells our client that we should have a key to someone's house, they think that is ridiculous when they think about it.

For those that market to realtors I would think that it is an advantage to having the realtor (s) there. Get to know them, chit chat etc.

For us that don't market to realtors I believe that it is a great disadvantage to not have the client there. That's where we get our referrals. Getting to know them, chit chat etc.

I have an odd approach because I'm in a small market with only so many opportunities in a given space of time. I do the inspection alone, come back to the office to do the report (research, write, print text & photos, assemble, and bill), then arrange to meet the client back at the property for a long-as-it-takes walk-through with all in hand.

What I like about this is that it allows me to concentrate on inspecting when I'm inspecting, and on my client when I'm with my client. I also feel better having the answers ready for their questions, and photos from remote places to show them (still worth a thousand words). Sure, it can be inconveinent at times, but I think it's worth it.

Oh yeah, it also gives me a chance to dress-up for the client. I do walk-throughs in dress clothes and a tie...Yes, a tie. While one could say "professional" just by not showing up in a pocket T-shirt and faded jeans around here, I'm aiming higher than that. It never ceases to amaze me how that skinny piece of cloth affects people, but it does.

Brian G.

Puttin' On The Ritz [:-tophat]

Originally posted by a46geo

Sounds like you have a good system indeed. I don't think I could justify two trips. How many inspections do you perform in the average week? How about your geographical area? I mean how large is it?

The answer to the first question is somewhat embarassing, but mostly a function of the realities of my locale...on average, 1 or 2. Most houses are still bought and sold with no inspection here, and the local economy has been crappy for a while, but both are getting slowly better. The other factor is my general lack of popularity in the realtor community. Eventually I'll overcome that. Meanwhile, I'm still a part-time carpenter.

I cover my county and every surrounding county, 7 in all (in 2 states). I'd guess it runs about a 50 mile circle, more or less.

I plan to become somewhat more efficient via technology, etc. in the future, when the loans are paid off. Meanwhile I figure the best investment I can make in my business is time; long, thorough inspections and walk-throughs, in a tie. It's definitely not for everyone.

Brian G.

Spoil 'Em and They're Yours [:-king]

I do a lot of relo's and about 20% of my resale inspections, have no owner present. Often, the Realtor just gives me the CBS code for the lockbox, and I do my thing. I've never had any issues regarding this.

I guess it's a matter of comfort level, geographic custom, and personal preference. It has taught me, however, to be very clear and descriptive in my reports. I rarely get a callback for further explanation of my findings.

I try to get the buyer to attend every inspection. It's not always possible, but my experience says a good relationship with the buyer heads off many problems. Having the buyer follow me and bug me with "stupid" questions results in very few follow-up calls later. I print my reports on site, and I want to walk away and be done! It works most of the time.

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Konrad

Brian Goodman said

I may get something out of it, you never know. Lunch once a month at the Country Club, need it or not

I just talked to yer wife, Brian. And she said "not". [:-bigmouth]

Whoo, I kill myself... [:-tong2]

I think you may be cofused Konrad, I said lunch at the Country Club, not at the "Y".

(rimshot) HEEEYYYYOOOooo, oh-ho-ho-oh my!

Or maybe that "once a month" thing is what's confusing you...we're talking about my wife, not yours.

I would try to get even, but if you've talked to my wife that's punishment enough.

Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to tip your waitress...I'll be here all week, bring your friends.

Brian G.

Internet Comedic Genius [:-clown]