Once Again: Roofer Stacks Shingles-Roof Collapses

hausdok

May 11. 2015 - Kenmore, WA

We see it time and again. Roofer stacking piles of asphalt shingles at the ridge and then leaving them overnight - sometimes with disastrous results.

I've taken the opportunity more than once while inspecting homes in new developments to stop and talk to a roofer when I've seen the roofer stockpiling bundles of asphalt shingles on ridges. A few times the roofer was receptive and thanked me for the information; but most of the time my meant-to-be-helpful comments are either rebuffed by a roofer who tells me he's been roofing for X-number of years and has never had a problem, or I'm met with blank stares and someone on the crew will say something like, "No English. Boss no here."

The federal government instituted laws governing how overhead doors openers were to be installed, and required additional safeguards, after only a few dozen children were killed or injured over a space of a decade. Maybe what is needed now is some kind of legislation that makes it illegal to stack shingles on a roof ridge. The law would then enable the authorities to prosecute a builder for unlawful damage to private property caused through negligence when the property owner's structure is damaged; and to charge roofing company owner's for gross indifference and negligence resulting in serious injury or for manslaughter when a roofing company employees are injured or killed.

To read more and see pictures, Click Here

If the roof is properly constructed and they spread the bundles along the length of the ridge this should not be a problem. If they place the pallet at one location that's another story.

That might hold true with newer construction but I would not test that theory on a 100 year old home like the one in the article.

I was a rep for a log home company in the 90s. We had an owner/builder wreck his house twice. First he hit the middle of the basement stem wall while back filling, after the log walls were up. Then after several weeks and several thousand dollars to put it back together he loaded all the roof shingles at the ridge. By morning the whole roof frame had collapsed taking out his freshly straightened log wall in the process.

I was a rep for a log home company in the 90s. We had an owner/builder wreck his house twice. First he hit the middle of the basement stem wall while back filling, after the log walls were up. Then after several weeks and several thousand dollars to put it back together he loaded all the roof shingles at the ridge. By morning the whole roof frame had collapsed taking out his freshly straightened log wall in the process.

Funny one, Tom. Some people should not be allowed to operate heavy machinery. Some people shouldn't even pick up a hammer.