Crawlspace chasm

Jim Baird

Well it's happened again.

During belly-crawl traverse of an old house crawlspace I happened upon what looks like an old hand-dug well.

It had a concrete cap, several inches thick, that had collapsed into the hole.

Full width and depth is unknown, but the void extends far enough to have exposed part of a continuous footing that now looks like a bridge over the chasm.

I labelled iot "major structural defect", called for engineered remedy. Sellers' jaw hit floor. Eventual outcome not known.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif hole1.jpg

16.88 KB

Originally posted by Jim Baird

Well it's happened again.

During belly-crawl traverse of an old house crawlspace I happened upon what looks like an old hand-dug well.

It had a concrete cap, several inches thick, that had collapsed into the hole.

Full width and depth is unknown, but the void extends far enough to have exposed part of a continuous footing that now looks like a bridge over the chasm.

I labelled iot "major structural defect", called for engineered remedy. Sellers' jaw hit floor. Eventual outcome not known.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif hole1.jpg

16.88 KB

Jim,

I have also encountered strange things in crawl spaces. This is why I always tell the people present at the inspection that if I don't come out of the crawl space in 30 minutes to come get me or call the fire dept rescue squad[:-slaphap.

I have heard of Comer, Ga. where is it in relation to Metro Atlanta. I also know a lot of Bairds around my area.

Paul Burrell

Lawrenceville, Ga.