Question about wiring parallel water heaters

palmettoinspect

Is there ever a set up that allows parallel water heaters to share an electrical circuit? I've never seen this before and came across it the other day. Every parallel or series set up I've seen each water heater has their own circuits. This set up has one circuit/wire jumped to the other water heater?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201638211036_timgp0334.jpg

45.37 KB

The setting of the thermostats has nothing to do with it.

Small elements, like you say, whose sum (just the larger of the two elements in each heater) does not exceed 5,760 watts.

Even then, I'm not sure it's kosher, just functional.

Marc

Well if the stats are turned down really low on 1 or the other it wont run as much anyway,less load on the electrical system.

Not really efficient either.

Ive seen people do weirder things,too many people watching you tube videos ,Learning to do really stupid things

Well if the stats are turned down really low on 1 or the other it wont run as much anyway,less load on the electrical system.

Not really efficient either.

Ive seen people do weirder things,too many people watching you tube videos ,Learning to do really stupid things

It'll run less, yes, because the standby losses are less when the tank is cooler.

But run it will and the power draw is the same when it does run.

In other words, the thermostat does not modulate the wattage drawn by the elements.

Marc