White residue under dryer

cordelia

I have noticed a small amount of white residue forming under my dryer. It seems to be coming out from under it and spreading a little in front of the door. I assume from what I have read here and elsewhere that it is just a small amount of buildup from condensation.

My home is about 7 years old and the washer and dryer are working fine (dryer is very efficient and quick to dry). The washer/dryer are side-by-side in a closet where the temperatures get quite warm and humid in the summer, which is the first time I noticed this white substance. I've been cleaning it up every few weeks. My dryer gets used minimally b/c my clothes come out nearly dry from the front loader washer. And, I've noticed this build-up even when the machine is not in use. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have noticed a small amount of white residue forming under my dryer. It seems to be coming out from under it and spreading a little in front of the door. . . .

Is it on the dryer, on the floor, or what?

Is it wet or dry?

Is it soft, like lint, or hard, like mineral deposits?

Do you have a picture of it?

Thanks for the replies.

The dryer is electric.

The white residue looks like dried white salt debris, like what you carry onto your floors in the winter time when there is ice melt/salt on sidewalks. Just a thin white dried residue that looks like mineral/salt deposits.

Nothing is wet. Sometimes I see a slightly damp patch right under the dryer, but now that I've left the doors open to that closet, the floor looks dry.

Behind the washer/dryer, the water valves and drainage look clean and perfectly intact. Under the washer is totally dry. I'm guessing since there is a little of this powdery substance emanating from under the entire dryer that this has to do with the venting and/or humidity. I haven't been able to move the dryer myself.

I'm including a picture. It's not great, but you can see a little bit of a white patch at the left corner of the dryer and a little bit under the front of the machine. The white residue also runs along the front of the washer/dryer area against the wood, but it's very faint and not visible here.

Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201688151555_2016-08-08%2013.54.39.jpg

31.8 KB