Fascia installation

John Dirks Jr

Roof is done and I'll get you a full report with pics but now I'm getting the fascia up before the snow hits.

Rafter tails are 16oc. I'm using Royal pvc fascia. I'm using Deck Mate 2 1/2" screws so we know they won't pull. Gutter guy says I should put two screws every 16" but I think that's over kill. Two every 32" or one every 16" is adequate in my opinion.

What's adequate in your opinion?

I told the gutter guy I'd hit every 32". Then mark the location of tails I didn't hit. Then he could drive his hangers through fascia and into the remaining tails. His response was they just screw hangers into the fascia.

2 fasteners at every rafter tail for fascia is what I plan to do on mine. Just started the demo. I'm using some good quality fir I found at the local big box store for fascia, 5/16 ply for soffit. Everything treated on all sides with boiled linseed oil, SW oil primer and first top coat before it goes up. Working solo.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2017313131721_IMG_3913.jpg

43.7 KB

Marc

It sounds like you do not have a sub-fascia? All of the PVC trim manuals i have seen all call for a sub-facia or other sub structure. We have PVC trim on our home, and i will say it does move a fair bit and has to be well secured and locations allowed for expansion, especially with a cold wearther install.

Bryan

It sounds like you do not have a sub-fascia? All of the PVC trim manuals i have seen all call for a sub-facia or other sub structure. We have PVC trim on our home, and i will say it does move a fair bit and has to be well secured and locations allowed for expansion, especially with a cold weather install.

Bryan

I paid a visit to the store looking for fascia prospects and saw the PVC stuff but kept looking and ran into some Fir fascia that wasn't advertised at the store's website and decided on that because I had no track record on the PVC. Building history is full of products that didn't fair well in the end.

Think I'm gonna run out and pick it up now. I hope it's still there.

Marc

Ok. I just got done. Two screws per rafter tail. Tails are 16" oc. 2 1/2" screws deep into the rafters. This trim ain't goin nowhere. Matter a fact, when the tornado comes through, you'll find my stick built attic structure in a field somewhere. It will be held together by the fascia and the 4632 screws I just put in.