Mouse Drivers

I don't know if there other inspectors like myself who refuse to give up old programs because they are easier and faster to work with then new ones and of course as we get older we hate learning new computer stuff.

Case in point, I use AmiPro for my word processing / report generating. Been using it since 1995. It was supppose to go bad at the 2000 bewitching hour, never did though.

I don't need all the bells and whistles of MS Word. Plus I've spent 8 years tweaking my report program. There are a couple of draw backs though, like the 8 character limitation on file names, but I've worked around that.

The one drawback I can't seem to fix is using a wireless mouse on my laptop. I was able to find a driver for the desktop computer wireless mouse and all the mouse features function. I have a Belkin wireless mouse for the laptop, but I can't get the scroll feature to work. So if anyone knows of a mouse driver that can get that mouse to fully function on the laptop, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

I think people's time would be better spent designing a brand-new, 400 HP winch to drag your ancient ass into the 21st century.

Say what you want about Bill Gates and Microsoft, but Word kicks ass all over Ami Pro. And that's the double-truth, Ruth.

Truth be told, I don't know anything about wireless mice, or computers for that matter, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to cajole an elderly neighbor, even if you are twice the cyclist I am.

Cheers,

Jim

Gotta agree w/ Jimmy; AmiPro was great, but give it up. Word is only one option, but if you want to stick w/ WP, & not go database report software, get Word.

Since one can pick up an entirely adequate Dell desktop machine w/ CD-RW, 256K Ram, Windows XP, and multiple other options for under $600, buy a new machine. The time taken dinkin' around w/ an old piece of crap computer will take you (at least) several days; do one inspection & buy a new machine.

Hanging onto old computers out of sentimental value is extremely counter-productive; you could be out doing a thousand better things. Computers are a commodity, to be used and recycled. Plus, w/XP, just buy any damn mouse or peripheral you want, plug it in, & go back to work. Unlike the old Windows versions that were "Plug & Pray", XP actually recognizes new peripherals & loads drivers automatically. What's that worth? In my life, it's worth a lot. I hate computers.

My desktop is only a year old and the laptop is a week old, so the hardware is up to date. I have MSWord and Amipro loaded on both. Amipro smokes Word in terms of load up speed. Since all I want to do is produce a report, I don't need all the stuff that slows down Word. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Jim,

I love my recumbent touring bike, it's like lying on a chaise lounge, can pedal about 8 hours at a time, with a few short breaks. However, now that 2 of the 3 kids are out of the house and now that I'm going through my second mid life crisis (why do they call it mid life? I doubt I'll be here at 101.) I went out and got a new bike. It's a little bigger and heavier than my recumbent and I still haven't found the pedals yet.

http://ablehomeinspection.com/newbike.jpg

http://ablehomeinspection.com/newbike.jpg

Well, nothing is broken, so no fix is necessary. It's just old stuff. If using old stuff feels better, use old stuff.

It may be true that new stuff isn't better, although, new software capabilities have often led me to discoveries previously unimagined w/ old software. The amount of time I've wasted dinking w/ workarounds on old software have often been solved in one or two mouseclicks w/ new software.

Originally posted by kurt

Well, nothing is broken, so no fix is necessary. What operating system do the new chunks of hardware use?

It may be true that new stuff isn't better, although, new software capabilities have often led me to discoveries previously unimagined w/ old software.

Kurt,

Now that I think of it, the desktop is using Windows XP professional and the laptop is using Windows XP home edition (it came pre-loaded.) I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two versions. It would be nice if Microsoft responded to a simple question like that, but hey when you control the marketplace who has to worry about customer service.

Paul,

The sales guy said the big silver noisy thing in the middle of the bike makes pedals unnecessary.

BTW, Is TX going to be able to handle all those drunk Bostonians!

I pushed pedals for 16 years during my triathlon days. Finally quit when a pedal broke and I hit the pavement at about 25mph. It was my third major crash and time to quit[:-sick]

I think we can handle drunk Bostonians (I'm accounting for KURT being from Chicago). I have personal experience with Bostonians. The wife lived on Havard Square for years before she realized there were warmer climates and chose Austin. I'm glad she finally got some sense.[:-eyebrows]

The primary difference between XP Home & XP Professional is largely in #'s of computers that can be networked; @ least that's what I've been led to believe. There are a few other differences hanging in the background, but it shouldn't effect peripherals.

Of course, none of this stuff works the way one would imagine. The entire computer industry is a big pile of incompatibilities. I have few instances where I think governmental intervention would provide a better solution, but in the case of computers, a little governmental requirement to make all this crap work together would be nice.

I have XP Pro, and it's been pretty good. I have to say though, I get really pissed-off at Word sometimes when I'm trying to write text and it keeps assuming all kinds of things that I don't want. Every line starts with a capital letter, surely you want this indented, this, that, and the other. I'm sure there are business / corporate types who use and understand all that junk, but it just gets in my way. I'd love to have a very vanilla version that just does what the hell you tell it to do, nothing more. [:-banghead]

Brian G.

Computers Are Stupid, They Only Know What You Tell Them [:-graduate]

Originally posted by Brian G.

I have XP Pro, and it's been pretty good. I have to say though, I get really pissed-off at Word sometimes when I'm trying to write text and it keeps assuming all kinds of things that I don't want. Every line starts with a capital letter, surely you want this indented, this, that, and the other. I'm sure there are business / corporate types who use and understand all that junk, but it just gets in my way. I'd love to have a very vanilla version that just does what the hell you tell it to do, nothing more. [:-banghead]

Brian G.

Brian,

Pretty much my point. They should have 2 versions of Word: "Word for Dummies" and "No Thrills Word".

Just to make myself clear, I hate Word. I also know that it is an amazingly powerful piece of software if one just learns a few fundamentals.

I know enough about it to know that one can set up templates whereby you don't have to constantly be fighting w/ it, i.e., it doesn't presuppose your intentions. The few times I've taken the time to figure out what was bothering me, it wasn't hard & solutions were positive.

It's a massive amount of power, but useful if one wants to learn how to use it. If one doesn't want to take the time to learn it, Word is a pain in the ass.

That's why I use Filemaker Pro.

Hi,

My software writes in Word and I agree with what's been said - it can be a pain in the ass -at least until you learn to use it. I used to get frustrated all the time, but it was just part of the learning curve - like trying to figure out how to use a new inspection software - now I don't fight with my computer anymore, because I've finally learned to use most of the functions within Word.

I seem to remember that Walt Jowers once posted on the ASHI forum information about a program that would strip most of the unneeded crap out of Word and make it run a lot faster. At least I think it was Word. I can't remember what it was called - Word Lite - or something like that. I bet a search of ZD Net's archives would probably yield a hit or two.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by WILLIE

Bostonians in Austin??

I have my second client from Boston in a year right now, and one from New Jersey. Them damn Yankees are invading again! [:-irked]

Brian G.

You Can Drink Our Good Bourbon and Marry Our Pretty Women, Just Don't Tell Us How They Did Things Back in Bahston [:-yuck]

Originally posted by Brian G.

Brian G.

Actually, you can make it as vanilla as you want. Most people just don't bother.

By doing a custom install and disabling several options in "Tools - Options," you can turn it into a pretty lean machine.

BTW, Walter used to talk about "Windows Lite." It was a stripped down version of the operating system. Had nothing to do with Word.

- Jim Katen, Oregon