Crack in Ridge Vent Shingles.

Nancy Leopold

This subject was partially covered back in 2004.  This is my problem is 2020.  I had new roof GAF Architecture shingles and nail over ridge vents installed January 2011.  In September 2019 I found many cracked and missing shingles on ridge vent.  Was told not under warranty and that it was due to wind.  There was a hurricane the prior year, (maybe 50 mph sustained and possibly up to 85 mph gust), but didn't notice any shingles missing at that time.  My warranty states "Furnish a 130 mph Lifetime materials waranty and a 10 year workmanship warranty.  I needed to get it done.  I paid for repairs.  Now exactly one year later, and no high winds, many more cracked and missing shingles.  Wondered if problem was in installation, (bend over the ridge vent), or possibly defective shingles.  Rest of the roof is fine.  The house is a one story ranch with only a very slight pitched roof.  No other wind damage anywhere around.  Can't figure out how to attach pics.

Did you contact GAF and send them these pictures? 

Or are you merely dealing with your installer? 

My guess is that the ridge caps are the hottest shingles on the roof because they're installed over the ridge vent. They've just baked themselves brittle. 

Ridge cap shingles are considered accessories. Does your warranty include "accessories"? 

1 hour ago, Jim Katen said:

Did you contact GAF and send them these pictures? 

Or are you merely dealing with your installer? 

My guess is that the ridge caps are the hottest shingles on the roof because they're installed over the ridge vent. They've just baked themselves brittle. 

Ridge cap shingles are considered accessories. Does your warranty include "accessories"? 

Jim.  I don't see "accessories" specifically outlined in the warranty; however, accessories are not under the list of what is not covered under the warranty.  I have not contacted GAF directly.  The ridge vent was installed at the same time as the new roof.

Maybe those are cut-up 3-tabs instead of hip/ridge shingles.

I'm in the process of replacing my roof cover and my lumber yard tried to sell me 3-tabs for my hips/ridges but they don't have near the wind rating of the hip/ridge shingles on the manufacturer's site. He said everybody was using them and had to special order what I wanted.

They look identical when installed.

Edited by Marc

9 hours ago, Nancy Leopold said:

Jim.  I don't see "accessories" specifically outlined in the warranty; however, accessories are not under the list of what is not covered under the warranty.  I have not contacted GAF directly.  The ridge vent was installed at the same time as the new roof.

Contact GAF directly and send them those pictures.