6/0 aluminum to 8/0 copper

ScottFD

I am moving a stove in a quad home. The current circuit is 6/0 aluminum, with a 40amp breaker.  I need to make a splice to extend the circuit. Since 6/0 aluminum is rated for 40amps, and 8/0 copper is rated for 40amps, can I splice 6/0 aluminum to 8/0 copper, or do I have to use 6/0 aluminum to extend the circuit? Or, would I continue with 6/0 copper?

Edited by ScottFD

13 hours ago, ScottFD said:

I am moving a stove in a quad home. The current circuit is 6/0 aluminum, with a 40amp breaker.  I need to make a splice to extend the circuit. Since 6/0 aluminum is rated for 40amps, and 8/0 copper is rated for 40amps, can I splice 6/0 aluminum to 8/0 copper, or do I have to use 6/0 aluminum to extend the circuit? Or, would I continue with 6/0 copper?

I think you mean 6 awg and 8 awg. (Or #6 and #8 for old-school types.) 6/0 would be huge. 

Yes, it'd be fine to extend the #6 aluminum circuit with #8 copper, just be sure to use the proper connectors. I'd use split bolts, which are listed for aluminum and copper in combination. Be sure to properly insulate them - doing this properly requires three different kinds of tape and a little skill. Here's a great video: 

Thank you, Jim, for your response. After some research, I've decided to replace the entire circuit, from panel to outlet. Watching some of the videos linked to yours, there is much preparation to do with the connector itself, as well as the products to purchase for protecting the splice. And still, it was pointed out, this application may have problems in the future. So, to eliminate the possibility of failure or worse, I believe the safest way is to make the necessary openings in the floor or ceiling, and run an entirely new circuit. Once again, thank you for helping me.