Drone Use DJI Mavic Mini 2

Rob Amaral

• 1 month later...

Hey Rob. 

I've only pulled out a drone probably about 3-4 times a year for the last 5-6 years.  I started with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro.  It's like a pterodactyl, scaring kids and pets.

I replaced it with the DJI Spark and was impressed how well the little thing handles better, stable hovering in wind and takes better pics.  When the batteries no longer held a charge recently, I discovered it's discontinued and reasonably priced batts are pretty scarce.

So I got the DJI Mini SE for about the cost of 3 Spark batteries.  It does almost everything I'm used too, except the warning sensor for being too close to objects.  It's lighter weight and the flight time per battery is incredible.  I just used it to get inside a church bell tower that had no other access and also got a good pick inside of an unlined chimney that had no access to view from the bottom.

I'm likely to use it more often now.  I can still climb up most very steep roofs, but coming back down, my left knee just started painfully popping out.  

It's a handy tool.  Who else uses one?

• 2 weeks later...

I also use a DJI Spark when I cannot safely walk a roof. I found that the batteries crap out fairly quickly. I attempted to switch to a Mavic Mini but didn't like the way that the arms fold in and out. Seemed like a component prone to damage, so I'm back to the Spark. Its range, image quality and stability are impressive for the price. If only the batteries didn't fail so quickly... I suppose I'll have to find a different model when my 2 remaining batteries fail. $100 a battery is silly considering the price of the original kit.