Arcitectural shingles along rake.

JMark

My apologies for the poor photo.  I have a new roof with several voids along the rakes due to the differing thickness of architectural shingles.  My roofer says it isn't an issue with regards to rain and moisture due to the starter strip, remains quiet when I raise the issue of wind, says there is nothing he can do, and calls me picky.  It would appear to me be a moisture and wind issue which could be corrected by ending the course with a portion of shingle the same thickness, but I'm not the professional.  Can you please advise?

rake gap.png

I hope you're not in a high wind area. That void will catch the wind, especially on a gable wall. The factory adhesive strip is the first defense against failure under condition of high wind and if the shingles don't lay flat, that adhesive cannot bond.

By how much do the shingles extend beyond the rake flashing?

3/4" is about right if there's no drip edge, otherwise 1/2". But this is nothing compared to what was previously discussed.

The roofer figures his knowledge of roofing exceeds your own by a great enough margin that he can simply bluff his way right through you. Stand your ground.

Are you in Kansas?  It looks like there is a workmanship issue and I would not "approve" it.  Simple direct answer is on the shingle bundle paper wrapper or written from the distributer/supplier.  Every shingle style and brand has a very thorough written instruction - somewhere.   Regardless it looks crappy.  Stand your ground. 

1 hour ago, Jim Baird said:

The deck looks really thin.  Must be a narrow rake to have no kind of fascia.  I agree with others about the workmanship.  Manufacturer instructions should show the way.

I think that's the rake flashing you're looking at. Grainy photo.