Wood & Plastic exposed

Martin Lehman

On this roof I found that there was exposed wood under the hip tiles.

What is this all about?

Also all of the hip tiles had a plastic type of flashing under them and none of them were nailed in.

Should that platic be covered up with mortar?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_2714.jpg

120.94 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_2724.jpg

102.11 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_2725.jpg

112.54 KB

The wood looks to serve as a shim to create a consistant slope to the hip tiles. Beyond that I'm lost. I only see a tile roof about once every three years here. How do you know that the tiles aren't fastened? Could there be some form of anchorage cast into the underside of the product that you can't see?

I wish I knew more about this roofing system myself.

Well, old Richmond is pretty much soldered and standing seam tin and/or slate roofing with replacements becoming modified rubber.

- Maybe 10% cedar shake, which hardly ever even lasts as long as composition roofing here (too hot and humid)

- A bit of asbestos cement slate

- An occasional asphalt built up roof (They're pretty much all replaced now with rubber)

- An occasional terra cotta tile roof (and some tile used to cap parapet walls)

The most popular by far is 3-tab and dimensional asphalt shingles

Ok, finally.[:-crazy]

I found out what this stuff is - "So-Lite" - Ridgid, formed plastic that eliminates the need for mortar at the hip/ridge/wall areas of a roof.

Weather-Blocking, New Web Site Highlight Roofer’s Meeting

by Joe Wheeler

From The Construction Zone: September 2000

The Roofing Contractors Association of Nevada (RCAN) featured two speakers at their crowded August meeting at ABC Supply in Las Vegas.

Debi Roberts, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for So-Lite Manufacturing, demonstrated the latest in weather-blocking solutions from the California manufacturing company.

The Uniform Building Code requires that, "Tile of clay or concrete... shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions." Since 1994, most manufacturers call for weather-blocking at hips, ridges and headwalls.

Roberts said that So-Lite’s U.V. resistant/weatherable hip and ridge closure weather-block was designed 17 years ago by Eric Reeves, a roofer by trade who owned a tile roofing company in California. Reeves noticed a problem with ridge and hip joints; that’s where rain intruded into the roof, often causing the contractor to do repairs under warranty.

Reeves solved this by designing a weather-block that was "ridge specific," in other words, designed to fit perfectly with certain manufacturer’s existing tile to provide a water preventive seal.

Today, So-Lite provides weather-blocking for manufacturers MonieLifetile, Eagle, Pioneer, Westile, Maxitile, Vostile and others.

Roberts demonstrated how the various types of weather-blocking made by So-Lite, and how to install the material to obtain the correct seal.

Visit Sol-Lite on the web at www.so-lite.com

Thanks for the help everyone