Once again, Joe H., my neighbor in Nazareth got it - on his second guess.

This was in a 1929 Mediterranean style palace. Absolutely nothing in this 25,000 sq. ft. home had been updated except the service and some panels. I couldn't immediately determine it's use since the wires were all snipped off and relocated to an "updated" 1951 fuse panel added next to it. I also spent over 6 hours in just the basement and crawlspaces that day so it didn't seem that interesting at the time.

When switched on, the feed would have energized the coil and square steel bar. The solenoid would rotate the bar about 1/8 of a turn, causing contact and current would feed through the fuses and wires.

It was directly below the great room which, without exaggeration, must have been at least an 80,000 cubic ft. room, not including the large anteroom, grotto & 2 bathrooms (The mens room had a bar). I'm quite certain it was simply to energize all the chandeliers, sconces etc. simultaneously from a single local switch. You know how you walk in to a large warehouse and turn on all the lights with the breakers.

Jeez, I should have stopped while I was ahead.

25,000 square feet, built in 1929, with almost nothing updated? That had to be one cool place. I know if I had the good fortune to inspect something like that, I'd be pretty distracted, by the 'oh wow, look at that' factor.

BTW Bill, how did you like Nazareth last month? I posted (late) a reply to you here: https://inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2511 You probably missed it.

I just took a quick tour of my current hard drive and couldn't find anything else that would stump the TIJ guys. I'll start looking at my old drive and disks when I get a chance.

I did come across a pic I took at my very first home inspection. That was a looooong time ago. The buyers agreed to pose in front of their new home.

http://uploads/inspecthistoric/2006327203045_firstclients.GIF

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

I just took a quick tour of my current hard drive and couldn't find anything else that would stump the TIJ guys. I'll start looking at my old drive and disks when I get a chance.

I did come across a pic I took at my very first home inspection. That was a looooong time ago. The buyers agreed to pose in front of their new home.

http://uploads/inspecthistoric/2006327203045_firstclients.GIF

Hope you noted the earth to wood contact!