Mike's Algae Treatment

Jim Katen

Hey Mike, in the past you've recommended treating roof algae with a mixture of one part sodium hypochlorite, 4 parts water and 1/8 part non-ammoniated dishwashing detergent.

It seems that there are quite a few different concentrations of sodium hypochlorite mixtures available to the consumer. Clorox, for instance, contains about 3%-6%. Wimpy swimming pool chlorine contains 10%-12% and serious swimming pool chlorine contains 30%-50%.

My inclination would be to use Clorox. It's readily available at any grocery store, it's the least concentrated form of the product, so it might be safer, and it requires the least dilution.

So, which type of sodium hypochlorite does you recipe call for?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi Jim,

I usually go in and grab a bottle of either high concentrate swimming pool chlorine or a bottom of deck wash. Never really paid much attention to concentration. I did notice that common household bleach seems to have a short term affect - as if it didn't knock back all of the spore that is the algae but the stronger stuff lasted longer.

Folks don't think that algae eats a roof but it does literally eat the limestone used in fiberglass shingles to give them weight.

I forget, didn't I post something about the variety of algae that does this not too long ago?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Jim,

I forget, didn't I post something about the variety of algae that does this not too long ago?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Yes, but I didnt' pay attention to the name. I thought it was enough to simply know that there was an algae that consumes limestone.

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Jim,

I usually go in and grab a bottle of either high concentrate swimming pool chlorine or a bottom of deck wash. Never really paid much attention to concentration. I did notice that common household bleach seems to have a short term affect - as if it didn't knock back all of the spore that is the algae but the stronger stuff lasted longer.

Folks don't think that algae eats a roof but it does literally eat the limestone used in fiberglass shingles to give them weight.

OT - OF!!!

M.

All I remember is that is sounded like "glucosamine magma."

- Jim Katen, Oregon