Septic systems

Jim Baird

Friends,

Probably the wrong forum, as the question is about the zone outside the building.

Some I know say that chlorinated water, as from public or community water systems, retards or inhibits the action of septic systems, or "private sewage disposal systems", that serve areas where sewage treatment is not a community service.

Any comments?

I have not heard this.

On a side note; I would steer away from offering septic system/treatment system inspections unless you are doing them they way they should be done. The proper way starts with pumping the tank and then an internal view of the tank. Very few home inspectors do this.

Just a little friendly word of advice

In theory it would. In practice the chlorine is easily aspirated from the water and seldom is in quantities that remains with the molocule after contact with "air". Remember, most septics are anaerobic, so the aspiration would occur at the point of discharge - faucets, showers etc. The average person puts tons more chlorine into the system thru clothes washing, cleaners, etc

Septic systems, in most counties in Michigan, should be inspected twice; once before pumping and once after. If you pump first, the inspector can not determine if the strata is present in the tank and/or the distribution field is handling the clear effluent, etc. After pumping, or during pumping the inspector can observe back-flow and physical conditions.

My advice to Home inspectors - Avoid this service like the plague, unless you are a sanitarian or smarter than us!

What Les said. Sounds smart on the front end, looks really stupid on the back end when things don't work out the way you described.

Just educate the client on how the system works; after a decent presentation & a few drawings, everyone understands why it's impossible to accurately analyze septic systems.