Pre listing inspection contracts

CHI2

I've been asked to perform a pre listing inspection for a home that was already inspected once and the buyer walked. The current owner does not know the specifics of why the buyer decided not to buy.

I currently use a standard ITA contract with some modifications. Does any one have or know if I need a contract specifically for pre listings?

My concern is overlooking one item....ok maybe several, then the next buyer's inspector finding something I may have missed causing the seller to doubt the findings of my inspection.

Thanks for the help.

I use the same contract for buyers or sellers. Some folks have different contracts, I think it is more of a personal decision.

One of the hazards of a pre-listing inspecting is that another inspector just might find something that you missed or that has changed since your inspection.

Originally posted by CHI2

I've been asked to perform a pre listing inspection for a home that was already inspected once and the buyer walked.

I'm confused with the language - 'pre-listing' implies the home is not yet on the market, yet you said the 'buyer' walked implying the home is on the market.
Does any one have or know if I need a contract specifically for pre listings?
I use the same contract regardless of the status of the home.
My concern is overlooking one item....ok maybe several, then the next buyer's inspector finding something I may have missed causing the seller to doubt the findings of my inspection.
Don't waste your brain cells or worry about what another inspector may or may not find. You need to be confident in your skills. My experience is that another inspectors report will almost always identify things not on your report but your report will also identify things noton their report.

The home was on the market, yet is no longer for sale until the seller determines the condition of the home, therefore I'm assuming it's a pre-listing inspection. Basically, it's an inspection for the seller to gain more information regarding the status of their home.

As far as wasting my brain cells or being confident there's no problem there. However, the average homeowner does not fully understand that a home inspector may discover something that another inspector may not have found. I'm just looking for something that will inform the client, yet protect my intrests as well.

You just need to tell the seller upfront that another inspector might find something minor that you did not report on. Tell the seller that you are on a Safari and that you will see the Elephants, Tigers, Hippos, Lions, and the larger animals but that some of mice and birds might make it past your eye. Now if the seller wants to know about every loose screw and knob in the home, tell them that you can do that but it will cost about double and take twice as long.

You are not the scape goat and don't get tricked into being one.

Originally posted by CHI2

I've been asked to perform a pre listing inspection for a home that was already inspected once and the buyer walked. The current owner does not know the specifics of why the buyer decided not to buy.

I currently use a standard ITA contract with some modifications. Does any one have or know if I need a contract specifically for pre listings?

Thanks for the help.

It's just another inspection. Do your job & collect your fee.

- Jim Katen, Oregon