Anchor bolts rusting

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Yes, treated sill but it appears more like condensation related as the rust runs up the threaded rods to the braced panels.

Chris, Oregon

In the pictures, it looks superficial. There's certainly not enough rust there to have any practical effect.

If you think that there's an ongoing condensation issue, address that. Not the symptom of rust.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There were other signs of condensation including mildew and even some white fungal growth on the cripple walls but crawlspace was dry on top of the vapor barrier.

Since its on a hill could the moist air be carried in through the foundation vents or do you think there should be an interior source?

Every thing appeared to be connected up. Its a deep walk in crawlspace down hill for over half of the crawlspace.

Chris, Oregon

Is this in a conditioned space? If it is, where is the insulation? If not, is there any ventilation?

If it is recent construction, there have been issues with corrosion on sill anchor bolts and straps because the chemicals used to treat wood react with them (I assume that is where Chad was going with his question). If this is the cause, recommend replacement. However, it does not explain the corroded rod.

PS-This is also a problem with exterior deck construction that needs to be considered when specifying and inspecting fasteners in new exterior wood deck construction.

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

PS-This is also a problem with exterior deck construction that needs to be considered when specifying and inspecting fasteners in new exterior wood deck construction.

Slight thread drift, but very noteworthy.

Double hot dipped galvanized bolts/fasteners/connectors on any exterior deck; otherwise, it's a relatively quick trip to failure from corrosion.

Is the crawlspace conditioned?

How 'bout ventilation (?), which might also be causing problems by letting cool moist air in the crawl which condenses moisture on the bolts.

Vapor retarder, but is it installed meticulously, as in perfectomundo perfect? (Which, in my experience, is essentially impossible.)

Lottsa variables that are causing this (at this time) superficial rust. Like Katen said, I'd be looking for the source of moisture more than I'd be worrying about the bolts.

And, like Hockstein said, it might be cheap hardware.

No, not conditioned space just your usual pacific northwest vented crawlspace foundation system built on the side of a hill in Happy Valley.

Chris, Oregon

Then that means there's all manner of moisture sneaking in there; condensation, vapor retarder that's not doing anything, etc., etc.

It all = rusty fasteners.

There were other signs of condensation including mildew and even some white fungal growth on the cripple walls but crawlspace was dry on top of the vapor barrier.

What was the soil like under the vapor barrier?

Since its on a hill could the moist air be carried in through the foundation vents or do you think there should be an interior source?

I think that the grading around the house sucks and there's probably a lot of wet soil under the vapor barrier. Were there water stains, silt or mineral crusts that suggest past standing water on the vapor barrier?

Every thing appeared to be connected up. Its a deep walk in crawlspace down hill for over half of the crawlspace.

Chris, Oregon

Could it be that the damage you saw was old and happened when the house was built?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What was the soil like under the vapor barrier?

It was damp but in the area of the subsidence it was mushy.

I think that the grading around the house sucks and there's probably a lot of wet soil under the vapor barrier. Were there water stains, silt or mineral crusts that suggest past standing water on the vapor barrier?

No, that was the funny part because I took a double look when I saw all those signs of condensation. The grading however is poor.

Could it be that the damage you saw was old and happened when the house was built?

I don’t think so as they could have never poured the footer if the ground had been even near the state I saw it in. Theres been so much rain the last couple of years I think its happened post construction. If the buyer pursues I am looking forward to what Jay Kushner has to say if he is available to take a look at it.

Chris, Oregon