Arc Fault or Not ?

Bryan

I completed a construction loan inspection for a large apartment complex in Savoy, Illinois earlier this week. During my walk through I noticed that there were no Arc Fault Breakers in the panel boxes. Apon speaking to the electrican and site super they said that the local AHJ was not requiring them due too to many problems with them. No additional details were available from the electricans or site personal other then they are not required in this area. Has anyone seen problems with these breakers or set ups? What are other parts of the country doing?

Bryan

Like Mike said, plus:

Around Buffalo, they are installed in all new construction (bedrooms), BUT...as soon as an owner complains that they can't run the vacuum without resetting the CB, the electricians pull them right out and replace them with non-arc faults.

I had a wierd one yesterday. 2003 house, panel signed off in December, 2003. Two circuits labeled as "bedroom plugs". One of these had an AFCI manufactured in March, 2004. No AFCI on the other. I'm guessing that the 2002 codes hadn't been adopted yet.

Anyway...first time I've seen an AFCI added without any remodeling. Oh, and of course it's one of the recalled Square-D breakers!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 0084.JPG

59.42 KB

Bryan,

I am literally spitting distance from Savoy. You might want to check with the electrical inspector of the Village of Savoy, he told me recently that they do require AFCI's. They go by the 2002 NEC and really have no amendments or changes.

His name is Rex (don't know his last name)

Village of Savoy Municipal Building - (217)359-5894 or his cell (217) 202-5716

Hope this helps,

Frank

Thanks for the info Frank. I will follow up with the local inspector. Unfortunately, our inspection is for the lender and only looks at the work in place VS the contractors bill. No code or quality controll is inspected unless it is an immediate life safty item. At the time of this last inspection only one building was fare enough along to have a completed panel box; therefore, i will follow up with the local inspector to see what they are requiring.

Bryan