Window in chimney etc.

Last week I saw a large limestone chimney that actually had a 3-foot by 4-foot window mounted in it. The fixed pane window was mounted to the outside. From the exterior, through the window you could see the chase area, the metalwork for the exhaust and its supports. Sorry, I do not have a photo.

The builder also forgot to add in gas or electrical connections for the cooking equipment, a receptacle for the hood vent, dishwasher /garbage disposal, the drain for a bidet, and proper access to the huge (2000 sq ft) attic area.

The attic access was a single small door that was mounted 16 feet above the floor. No maintenance was done on the hot water heater, or HVAC mechanical equipment that was far more than 25 feet from the "attic door.â€

I took digital video and not photos. It would be practical to upload video here.

The house in question as related to the window in the chimney may have been a result of someone just adding windows in walls, all walls. The chimney wall was at least 10 feet wide.

Perhaps on the drawings the person placing the window in the chimney area have have thought that the chimney wall was just another standard wall that needed a large window. The drawings were not available but it is clear that who ever built the property was not clearly thinking very long term, nor did they have any concept of needed details.

The house is 5,000 square house on 3 acres is 4 years old, never lived in and the builder went bankrupt. It was selling for $500,000.00 as a bank forclosure. Some areas were never finished and all the major appliances were missing. It appears my client will buy it, since the price was reduced from $750,000.00

Yeah Scott but the video contains many areas that are not relevant, nor particularly interesting to the general public. It is not worth the effort to edit it.

If I did the U-TUBE thing then there would be hundreds of hours of video and most would be rather boring and out of context of entertainment values. The is little audio on the video so that too would need to be added in. Too much trouble for far too little actual reward.

• 2 weeks later...

There is actually a window IN the chimney.

This font might not work on some computers. Try Ariel is it is unclear.

==========

==========

|| ||

|---------------|

| : : |

| ------------ |

| | | | |<|

| | | | | | near second floor

| | | | | |

| | | |< | | exhaust seen in window