Jump to content

Need help on panel


Recommended Posts

The developer would not allow me access to the common areas,stating between the walls only on this three unit condo.

Problem is can I just assume this is a remote distibution panel?

Also can one AFCI breaker control (2 )bedrooms as seen here.

Another thing is the panel is upside down.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif painel.jpg

43.11 KB

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would not assume anything. If I could not verify where the main disconnect was or if this was the main panel, I would state it in my report and made sure the customer knew about it.

I don't have a problem with the panel being upside down due to the breaker handles going horizontal. If the breaker handles were vertical, then we would need proper orientation.

One AFC breaker can be used for two bedrooms.

I don't see the branch ground wires in your picture. All I see are white wires. Where are the ground wires connected to the neutral?

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi... I took out the original question involving grounding upon realizing they are using the conduit,which is common in Chicago.

In my report I will mention the lack of access due to a stubborn developer.

Red flags do not write up well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just looking at the picture, I would say there is main breaker elsewhere, probibly somewhere near the meters.

Is it wired through bx or emt? there are your grounds. I don't see a green or copper grounding wire to an earthen ground.

In essence, to me it looks like it is a remote panel.

I would also like to see alot more of the neutral leg wraped in white tape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With out a doubt I knew it was a remote distribution panel but was not allowed access to any common areas,so I made sure to disclaim what I could not see.Thanks for the help though.

Electric is a funny thing as I find it tougher to analyze than to run it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

should also be noted that if this panel is being done with a "back-fed" breaker that it needs to be secured to the panelboard with a secure method...not a normal standard breaker installation.

(F) Back-Fed Devices Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type main

lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply

conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a

pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

Among the other things....:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...