Cord wired garbage disposal

Are point to point cord installations allowed or should all cord connected disposals have a plug on the end for an outlet installation?

Are any cord point to point installations allowed at all anywhere? I would think not since that would mean its a permanent installation and my understanding is that the NEC says no to using cord as a permanent wiring method. But then I was thinking about drop cords that I have seen in commercial installations to light fixtures and outlet boxes.

What about cord and plug connected fluorescent light fixtures in garages either hanging or permanently installed. OK yes or no?

Chris, Oregon

Hi Chris..if you are talking regular cord like on an extention plug there is no way I know of that could be legal,unless it is a permenent whip with BX or Greenfield that have proper connections to the box.Other wise it needs a pronged end for plug in,which is common of garbage disposals which seem to be treated as appliances since they do pull out and can be considered as non-permenant.

Of course I am sure someone will have a code for you to quote from the NEC bible.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Are point to point cord installations allowed or should all cord connected disposals have a plug on the end for an outlet installation?

Point-to-point cord installations are allowed for some things but not disposals. At least that's how I read it. Check 400.7(B).

Are any cord point to point installations allowed at all anywhere? I would think not since that would mean its a permanent installation and my understanding is that the NEC says no to using cord as a permanent wiring method. But then I was thinking about drop cords that I have seen in commercial installations to light fixtures and outlet boxes.

All this stuff is listed in 400.7. Several things can be wired with cords.

What about cord and plug connected fluorescent light fixtures in garages either hanging or permanently installed. OK yes or no?

Pendants and luminaires (fixtures) can be wired with cords but there are lots of limitations on their use.

I could go into greater detail when I have time, but this stuff is pretty clearly spelled out in article 400.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

422.16 (B)(1) Flexible Cords

Electrically operated kitchen waste disposers are permitted to be cord-and-plug connected with a flexible cord identified as suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions

of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The flexible cord is required to be terminated with a grounding-type attachment plug.