CMU Block leaking at Mortar Joints?

fqp25

Saw this today, 17 year old house. Mortar joints appear to be leaking moisture. For some reason I had always thought moisture would seep in through the block first instead of the joint. (Thinking the mortar would be more dense).

The client (the buyer) was present during the inspection and had asked what could be done to stop this. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Image Insert:

200761418217_fqp2.jpg

111.52 KB

Hi,

Looks like the footing drain is either occluded or they placed it too high. Either that, or the downspout receivers are broken below grade, or downspouts are dumping next to the foundation, or drainage sucks.

If it's not drainage, broken receivers or misdirected downspouts, it's gotta be an occluded or improperly placed footing drain, in which case the choices are root out the drain or dig up and reinstall the footing drain at the proper height, or install a sump pump in the crawl, connect it to the footing drain and plumb it well clear of that home to the exterior, to remove that water, and install a new barrier that's secured to the walls below the plate but above the infiltration and seal it to the perimeter of the sump well and cap the well, so that there's no way any evaporation is taking place down there.

If you want, I can send you a good article that will show you how to detail that crawlspace so that something like that isn't much of a concern.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'd love to guys, but unless you have a membership at JLCOnline.com, you won't be able to access the article. Being a JLCOnline member, I'm allowed to share with others, I just can't give you a link to it.

Now, JLC Online is a pretty good deal. It's about $99.95 a year and includes their CD Rom and unlimited access to their site archives containing 17 years worth of articles 24/7/365. If I were you guys, I'd be bugging the wife, girlfriend, boyfriend for a JLCOnline membership for the next birthday, christmas or anniversary present.

Maybe I can talk to the JLC guys about some kind of discount for TIJ members. I'll try, but I'm not promising anything. In the meantime, Jesse and Kurt could forward copies to you guys.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

Wait a minute. I've got an idea. Tell you what. I'll go over there and check the free docs. Maybe there is something similar to what I've sent these guys that I can post a link to.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike