Scorch Marks around TPR Valve

fqp25

Back on Feb 1, 07 there was a thread named HOT HOT WATER HEATER. There was a water heater which had big scorch marks around the tank drain. J Katen also posted a similar picture of effects of a collapsed baffle.

Today I saw scorch marks around the TPR valve of a 17 year old AO Smith WH. The area around the drain did not have any marks. Could this also be a collapsed baffle?

Image Insert:

200761418208_fqp3.jpg

123.55 KB

Image Insert:

2007614182118_fqp4.jpg

93.38 KB

Could be. Probably is.

If I had a 17 y.o. gas water heater, I'd be saying something like, "This tank is kinda like Granddad. It's in the nursing home on life support and the staff doesn't know why he's still hanging on. Don't be surprised if it "expires" in the not-to-far-distant future. In fact, if I get my truck out of the driveway without it failing, I'll be surprised. These are cheap - a few hundred bucks installed. Get a new one now."

It always gets the realtor ladies all wound up!

No seismic restraint in Illinois, huh?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

If I had a 17 y.o. gas water heater, I'd be saying something like, "This tank is kinda like Granddad. It's in the nursing home on life support and the staff doesn't know why he's still hanging on.

Jeez Mike. You'd better hope that analogy isn't all too real for some clients. T'wouldn't be funny at all if it were.

Brian G.

Sometimes It's a Fine Line Between Funny and Offensive [:-taped]

Well,

Yeah, I understand that. However, I don't get offended when someone who doesn't know me unknowingly says something that relates to my circumstances or my family, without realizing that it was very personal, so I don't think that reasonable people would be that upset with it.

Now, if I knew someone's granddaddy was in the nursing home and said it, yeah, that would be offensive.

So far, I've been using it 11 years and nobody has stomped off or turned all red in the face....yet - nobody except the realtors, that is. It gets a chuckle, and more than one client has complimented me on how well it put that tank into perspective. One said that it was the perfect way to make him realize that, though the thing looked okay, there was good reason to know that it probably wasn't - at least not for too long.

When I was with the franchise, they taught me that I should always be fair to the house and "put things in proper perspective." Mostly, that meant not upsetting the real estate folks or killing the deal. That kind of rubs me the wrong way, but I've figured out over the years that one can also "put things in perspective" without being a realtors little helper (RLH).

Besides, Brian, you have to know by now that couth has never been one of my strong suits.

OT - OF!!!

M.