Standing Seam Roof Manual?

randynavarro

Walter, you tell me . . .

Image Insert:

200762975632_MetalRoof.jpg

23.06 KB

I'm not well-versed in historical building materials like yourself and Bill Kibbel.

Remember I'm a west coast-ie, where the term "California framing" was dubbed.

All the info I have and could find online ID this product as "standing seam", and I've always called it such.

Perhaps the definition has been dumbed-down?

Hi,

Okay, maybe I've found something you can use - a 21 page installation manual for the Englert 1000 series standing seam roof.

Try this: http://www.englertinc.com/Panels/Docs/1000%20IG.pdf

OT - OF!!!

M.

P.S.

I've added this link to our file directory. It took about a minute and a half to accomplish - only because I'm still not that familiar with the process. It would be absolutely wonderful if everyone could try and remember to add the file links to the file library whenever they post them here. If we all do that, the file library will contain an awsome selection in no time.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike. Good site but I didn't find the detail in question--see the photo above--where that ridge cap dies into the slope. High end home and all so I wouldn't think that such an obvious detail would go unchecked--everything else looked good.

My latest online expedition didn't come up with much. My assessment is the install details are very proprietary to each manufacturer. There's not a lot of "standards" like comp roofing. Of course, I have no idea who the mfr. was on this project.

Regardless, I'd still like to find something for my own education.

Hi,

Okay, now I understand what the concern is. I think if you had the luxury of removing that ridge cap you'd find that the valley flashings are folded over one another at the apex of that intersection and the panels from the upper roof overlap onto those flashings. Then you've got the ridge cap, which really caps the top of the seams along the ridge. They could caulk that joint, but why; any water running under the end of that is going to be picked up by the valley anyway.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Okay, now I understand what the concern is. I think if you had the luxury of removing that ridge cap you'd find that the valley flashings are folded over one another at the apex of that intersection and the panels from the upper roof overlap onto those flashings. Then you've got the ridge cap, which really caps the top of the seams along the ridge. They could caulk that joint, but why; any water running under the end of that is going to be picked up by the valley anyway.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

My sentiments exactly. I made the executive decision to just let it be.

It would be absolutely wonderful if everyone could try and remember to add the file links to the file library whenever they post them here. If we all do that, the file library will contain an awsome selection in no time.

I added a few links (yesterday, I think). They don't show up. Do they need to be reviewed and approved?

I don't think anybody makes handmade standing seam (or lock seam) roofs anymore.

I get to see a few new ones every year - on high-end additions and very expensive farmhouse reproductions. Each one has been almost perfect. I'll bet it's the same company doing the installations.