Trapped Disposal

Brian G

Lately I've seen a few disposals with their drain lines trapped. I thought this was big no-no for disposals, but I just looked at an installation PDF from InSinkerator where they show a trap. I'm thinking this is still a no-no because it gives each bowl of the sink an individual trap, but I wanted to bounce it off of the TIJ clan. Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Brian G.

Trapped By the Disposal [:-wiltel]

Originally posted by Brian G.

Lately I've seen a few disposals with their drain lines trapped. I thought this was big no-no for disposals, but I just looked at an installation PDF from InSinkerator where they show a trap.

Every drain needs a trap. If there happens to be a GD on the drain, it still needs a trap.

I'm thinking this is still a no-no because it gives each bowl of the sink an individual trap...

It's fine, if each trap has its own trap arm that connects individually to the vented waste. Most double sinks with 2 traps that I see are incorrect because both traps connect to the same trap arm.

Does a dishwasher drain line have to be connected before a trap? I've always seen them hooked in before the sink trap (one way or another), but I ran into one today that went straight down through the floor and connected directly to a PVC drain line. Is that allowed? I tried digging around the net for 20 minutes and never found an answer.

Brian G.

Odd Wrinkle # 4,671 And Counting [:-boggled