Is it me?

Telephone call today.

"Hey Mitchell this is Paul I need another inspection "

"OK Paul what am I inspecting?"

"Well its a 4/3 about 1900 sq ft built in 71."

"Paul when do you need it by?"

"Friday in the afternoon"

"OK see you at 1"

Now I have no idea who this Paul is and I guess I'll find out. My question is, am I the only that gets this type of call or an I getting like George that I can 't remember?

Captain I think

I get a lot of similar calls. I also get a lot of calls from folks that say they got my name from someone whom I have no idea who they are. I always act as if we're great old friends.

Folks call us because they feel they have a trust relationship w/ our business; I enjoy making making them secure in that trust. It's a great job.

Think about it; how many people in business get paid for telling the truth? I don't make anywhere near the money that most of my clients make, but I think that everyone one of them wants my job sometimes.

I think its an indication of a job well done when you get those kind of phone calls.

I have the same problem. I did an Inspection last October for a client buying a house for her daughter. I showed up at an Inspection Monday and was on site for 15 minutes before I realized it was the same client. She said she wouldn't think about hiring a different inspector. Then asked if she could pay me Not to inspect the house the house she was selling.[:-bigeyes]

What an Idea;[:-bulb] Pay me $300 and when a client calls to book an inspection I'll say I am sorry I can not inspect that address for you, It would be a conflict of interest.[:-bonc01]

The problem is, If I can't remember the client, how in the hell do I remember an address that I have never been to?[:-banghead]

Originally posted by swarga

I have the same problem. I did an Inspection last October for a client buying a house for her daughter. I showed up at an Inspection Monday and was on site for 15 minutes before I realized it was the same client. She said she wouldn't think about hiring a different inspector. Then asked if she could pay me Not to inspect the house the house she was selling.[:-bigeyes]

What an Idea;[:-bulb] Pay me $300 and when a client calls to book an inspection I'll say I am sorry I can not inspect that address for you, It would be a conflict of interest.[:-bonc01]

The problem is, If I can't remember the client, how in the hell do I remember an address that I have never been to?[:-banghead]

Scott,

On a similar kind of situation.

About 12 years ago I show up for an inspection at the appointed time. As I walk up to the house the agent comes towards me and says; "what are you doing here?"

I said I was there to inspect the house. "Oh didn't your client tell you that he got someone else to do the inspection?"

(The other inspector was there when I arrived.)

As it turns out, it was the agent who got the other inspector and my client who was in the house was too embarrassed to come out. I told the agent my lawyer would be contacting him for interferring with my business practice and that I expected my inspection fee to be paid.

A couple of days later I got a check from the agent (a real estate company check.) I showed that check during one of the state house hearings back in the mid 90's when the first attempts were made to keep agents out of the inspector selection process.

So I actually got paid by the agent not to do the inspection.

Dennis [:D]

We always fill out an order form for every inspection. I always ask names, etc. (to get it correct on the contract and report...don't you know). Like Kurt, I act like I remember the referring party and always tell the caller to thank so-in-so for the referral. I also ask for an email address to confirm the inspection and send the buyer my contract.

I person I freely admit that I don't remember names, but faces generally seem familiar. People are almost always understanding and my lousy memory hasn't been a problem. Yet!

Originally posted by hausdok

People call me up all the time and say, "Hi Mike, I'm so-and-so. Remember me?" My response is always, "Not really. If I did an inspection for you I probably spent only a few hours with you after I met you and the majority of that time with my eyes focused on the home. Tell me a few of the things that were wrong with the house, what I told you about them and I may be able to remember better."

At that point, they usually describe stuff that I wrote up and it's typically during the first or second thing they begin to describe that the whole inspection, not their face or name, comes back into focus, and I'll interrupt them and say, "Oh yeah, now I remember, that was the house that had the...... and then I go on and briefly describe in detail what it was."

That usually blows them away and they remark about how good my memory is. My response is always, "Any trained observer will remember details about things he focused on as part of his job. That's all it is. Now, I know you didn't call to talk about old time, how can I help you?"

Works for me and I'm never stuck trying to guess who the hell it was I just talked to.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I do the same thing, but after I get the name, the report (complete with photos) is on the screen right in front of me. I have learned over time to not mention that fact, unless they ask, so even an aluminized dim-witt like me can "blow them away."

George

Funny we're on this topic. I did a one year warranty inspection for a lady last year. Works from home, along with her office assistant. Both very nice and outgoing people. House had a few issues, no big deal.

About two weeks ago, I ran into her at the local vet. Had no idea who she was, but she talked to me like we were old friends. Luckily, her file was on the counter and I was able to scan her name, so I played along.

I look at my schedule this morning, and she wanted me to do a two year inspection today. I swear that the only reason she booked the second inspection was because we ran into each other and chatted.

So... here's my plan: Take a picture of every client. Find out their habits and follow them, so I can

accidently
run into them three or four times a year. Bound to double my business!