History of HVAC brand names

Richard Moore

I found a older Gaffer & Sattler gas furnace, a name I'd never seen before. in a 1968 home today. I couldn't read the model or serial number but I suspected the unit was original. I googled the brand and came across this...

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/history.html

It's a history of HVAC brand names. Very helpful to me as it indicated the Gaffer Sattler name was last used in 1969. I thought it might help others with some (not all) older units.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

I found a older Gaffer & Sattler gas furnace, a name I'd never seen before. in a 1968 home today. I couldn't read the model or serial number but I suspected the unit was original. I googled the brand and came across this...

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/history.html

It's a history of HVAC brand names. Very helpful to me as it indicated the Gaffer Sattler name was last used in 1969. I thought it might help others with some (not all) older units.

Nice info, Richard. I saved the link for later reference.

Now, if we could just find a date code decipher tool to use when we see these old furnaces and boilers, that would be nice too. ;-)

Originally posted by msteger

Now, if we could just find a date code decipher tool to use when we see these old furnaces and boilers, that would be nice too. ;-)

Well, I've been dinking around with the chart below for a while. I think most of it was compiled from stuff sent to me by other folks, but it's far from complete, and, as far as I've been able to tell, my information isn't the most accurate. It has been helpful on a few occasions, though. We could continue to try and update it.

Download Attachment: Link removed - See the updated link in my post below.