Bond Bord - Sheet Board

Mark P

Originally posted by AHIS

I ran accross something new - for me - yesterday in the attic of a 1960 home. The sheathing has some sort of paper backing that has fallen off making for oddly ugly attic.

Is anyone familiar with this product?

They spelled board wrong.

It looks as if they took a bunch of boards and taped them together with kraft paper. I suppose this was some sort of missing link between plywood and shiplap sheathing.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 1 year later...

Hmmm, thats interesting, I once inspected an attic where the entire underside resembled thousands of those dangling fly strips in a parchment color. The material was so far gone that there was no evidence of a product name on the sheathing. The ventilation was very poor, explaining the condition but this adds valuable insight if I ever see that again. I presumed it was delaminated plywood at the time but the dimensions of the "Bords" seem to suggest otherwise.

• 13 years later...

I have a home built in 1966. The roofing material used was indeed Bond Bord. I am having a new metal roof installed. The existing sheathing of Bond Bord is showing signs of the paper delaminating. Should I replace this decking with plywood. There have been spots that have leaked over the years. Also where can I find this ad you mention?

22 hours ago, Island Ben said:

Should I replace this decking with plywood. There have been spots that have leaked over the years.

The "delaminating" is probably just the paper wrap.  Most decking issues are discovered when the existing roof covering is removed, resulting in a panicked call to the lumberyard.

Also where can I find this ad you mention?

I can't find it now.  I've purged most everything that doesn't relate to pre-1940 buildings.