Newsletter

sepefrio

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great newsletter writer. I also know that not only will a well done help promote your business, a poor one can chase business away. So my question is very simple. Does anyone know of any decent newsletter services that I can resend as my own? Or maybe just articles that I copy into my newsletter.

Like I said, I'm not to good at this stuff and any help here would be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by Les

John,

Why a newsletter?

Look at mine, Kurt M's, Jim K's, Mike O's, Randy N's, etc. Bet you can't find a single error or mistake in any of them!

Here we go - - - - - -

There is a very simple answer to that. Newsletters drive internet traffic. Internet traffic is one factor that drives page ranking. High page ranking puts you on the first page of searches. 83% of people do not look beyond the 1st page of any search. To date more than 75% of all the business I have received has come from my website, either being found or being confirmed. I would also bet that more people use the internet to choose their home inspector than there were people even using the internet when you got started.

I know there are many people out there that do not do things that others do. But not all of us are in the same boat or have 20 years of experience, contacts or business history to fall back on. With all due respect Les, I highly doubt if you were a brand new inspector today going the independent route that you would have the same business volume that you do now. Until my name is "branded" like yours surely is, I must take extra steps to get to that point. Starting a business today is not like it was back when you did. What you or other established inspectors did back then simply does not work to the same extent today. Thus us new guys need to do different things.

A news letter is not the end all, it is one step in a process. Is one required? Of course not. But if done correctly it will help.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I'll have to add Va. to my list of places where internet marketing works, cause it doesn't work here, yet.

Does anyone have any theories as to why its working in some places and not others?

Chris, Oregon

I think internet marketing can work anywhere, but you have to make it work. It takes a lot more than just making a page though. I am active in several Real Estate web sites, blog sites, ads and certain links. If you just make a page and thats it, the page wont work. If you put your web page every place you go, it does get traffic. I would have to say I spend a good 10 hours a week promoting my web site on the internet.

It's just like any advertisement. It doesn't matter if you have the best flier ever made, unless it goes to the right people it's worthless.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I'll have to add Va. to my list of places where internet marketing works, cause it doesn't work here, yet.

Does anyone have any theories as to why its working in some places and not others?

Chris, Oregon

Chris you need to market on the internet, that is more than just putting up a page... add your link to TIJ's inspector locator, add your link to a few of your posts, add your links to a few websites. Add your link in TIJ's links manager it ends up on TIJ's front page for a few days. Add a meta description to your site make sure it's something that will draw someone to your link instead of your competitor when it shows up in the search results. Add some real content to your front page, a few lines of original text helps. Your only search term I could find you under was page 3 of Google for "Willamette home inspector". If there are other areas you inspect in make sure they are on your pages. I would also use your title tag for your area as well. If the only area you inspect in is Willamette make sure it's in there. If you want to come up for Oregon home inspector you will need to do even more work because your competitors are not asleep.

The other reason it may not be working in your area is that there is no market there... not much you can do about that. But you can market and travel further to another area where the market is still strong.

Hope that helps.

Michael Brown

DevWave Software Inc.

John, maybe I wrote it wrong and you read my comment wrong. I agree with you.

Why a newsletter? What are you going to broadcast?

It is not about the value of a newsletter, it is about where to spend your time getting business. Please remember I started typing reports with carbon paper but that alone does not mean there are not many "younger" folks that depend on the company to feed their families. Michael's advice seems more cogent.

All newsletters are not bad but neither are coupons!

Originally posted by Les

John, maybe I wrote it wrong and you read my comment wrong. I agree with you.

Why a newsletter? What are you going to broadcast?id="size4">

It is not about the value of a newsletter, it is about where to spend your time getting business. Please remember I started typing reports with carbon paper but that alone does not mean there are not many "younger" folks that depend on the company to feed their families. Michael's advice seems more cogent.

All newsletters are not bad but neither are coupons!

I thought that is what I was asking and I also thought your reply was don't do a news letter. We both apparently agree that a poor newsletter can do more damage than a good one will help. Which again is why I'm asking. I have some ideas on a newsletter but I'm also positive that I would shortly find it on a HI website with all sorts of, well lets just say comments :)

I have the advantage of sitting on my couch every day yet still earning enough to pay my bills (Military retirement and good financial planning). Thus I am trying to reach the customers more than Realtors. I'm not ignoring Realtors but I don't want to depend on them, I would rather they be a supplement. I have started of very slow but my phone is ringing more and more often and like I said above, it's mostly from customers. In fact, I think I have only had one Realtor referral from an office visit or open house visit. But I have gotten a few after they met me because a previous client of theirs had found me elsewhere.

Anyways, back to the point. What I am looking for is help in writing a newsletter. Or information about newsletter services. Or just general advice. Most of all, I'm trying to decide as I believe you implied, is a newsletter and the results it may or may not convey worth the time/effort/money.