Spray in Attic barrier

Jbrooks

Do a google search for Florida Solar Research Center or some such. They had some information on their site years ago that dealt with those new slow-conducting ceramic paints used for attics in the hot part of the south.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The spray-on product has improved over the years, but as Jim noted check the ratings. Also one thin spray coat will likely not provide the results you may be expecting. Having to spray on multiple coats runs up the costs.

I have personally used Polar-Ply. It is easy to install and works well. My attic temperature last summer ranged 10-15 degrees lower with the radiant barrier installed.

Best practice (for after market installation) is to install between rafters below decking. Polar-Ply comes in 16 or 24-inch spans and simply staples with lip to side of rafters.

Some radiant barrier installers install a light-weight film product over the insulation and ceiling joists. That is not a good idea. As Mike O. suggested read more studies from the Florida Solar Research Center.

Here is the URL for Polar-Ply: Polar-Ply

Hi Nolan,

He was asking specifically about the spray-on radiant resistant paints. They are formulated with microscopic ceramic beads. Apparently, the ceramic slows down the convection process so solar gain during the day is supposed to be slowed, so the home won't gain as much heat, and at night when the air cools the heat that leaves the home is retained longer. I guess the idea has some merit in hotter climates, but I think it would kind of suck in a heating climate where we depend on solar gain to help reduce heating bills.

I remember an article a few years ago from Metal Roofing Magazine about new paint formulations being used on metal roofs to reduce the amount of heat gain in homes. I suspect that was something similar.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike