braided water heater connections

John Dirks Jr

Don't know about code. From a "safety" point of view, they are probably fine on an electric water heater but I think would be wrong next to the draft hood of a gas model. But, I would still be concerned about the internal diameter of the "washing machine" type hoses and how that might effect flow rates (although these do look fairly "beefy"). Actually, the top nut, at least, looks "purpose built" and not just a normal hose bib connector. Unfortunately, it looks like they have removed the labels that might have listed their use for this purpose. Normal metal flex connectors aren't that expensive, and I don't think anyone would fault you for expressing you concerns and recommending they be changed.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Bill...would they be OK for a gas water heater?

I did find some at an Ace Hardware site and they list the ID as 5/8 so that would remove that concern.

I installed a pair last year when I replaced one of my water heaters (electric). They're made by Watts; Series CWH-S flexible water supply connectors for water heaters. NSF and UPC Listed. "These connectors provide full flow capacity and protection from vibration and bursting under pressure surges and seismic activity".

There is no information, label, etc. warning that they are not suitable for gas or lp.