Repair?? of sagging rafters.

Erby

Hi Erby,

If they are sistered because of sagging, especially if they're sagging because of the weight/span, I don't have too much faith in them. But, If the are sistered as nailers because the seams of the sheathing don't fall out right, well, I see that quite a bit, and I don't have a problem with it.

I would question that approach. I can't tell what the span is, but the pitch looks low, and that makes bracing more critical. If a 2X didn't carry the load, I don't think that added 1x's will do much. Without knowing what the horizontal run is before they are braced, I can't say for sure...but I suspect they need to add additional bracing to shorten the span. There look to be too many 1X's added for them to have been done for nailing purposes.

I agree, I don't see a 1x doing much good in that situation. If the the rafters are sagging in that area, adding a purlin would seem a better fix. Also, you cannot brace a roof off of a ceiling joist. I can't tell from the photo if that brace is sitting on a top wall plate, beam, or ceiling joist. I have seen 1x's nailed to the side of rafters before because there was a splice in the rafter and there was no bracing added. Now that is just a sorry framer using scraps!!

Mike M

Man you guys have better eyes then Old Eagle Eyes, I can't even tell what's what in the picture.

How much deflection was present at the time of inspection and what did the roof feel like when you walked on it?

Also what is the age of the house, I see the OSB but how old is the house?

• 2 weeks later...