three tab shingles

jodil

Three tab (interlocking) shingles are very commonly used up here and I was wondering if someone could tell me why they dont adhere to eachother as do other asphalt shingles? Is it the interlocking design that is suppose to maintain a good seal? In ND where the regular wind speed is 40mph and the rain comes down sideways I am puzzles as to why this is a commonly used material and why they dont adhere to eachother.

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think Jodi is talking about the conventional 3-tab. When I lived in Colorado I used to see a lot of T-lok shingles which have tabs designed to be held down by other shingles.

I very rarely see them around here; when I do they're typically at least a quarter of a century old, however they were common as lice on a rat in Colorado where it's pretty windy. I'm betting that's what she's seeing.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

I don't think Jodi is talking about the conventional 3-tab. When I lived in Colorado I used to see a lot of T-lok shingles which have tabs designed to be held down by other shingles.

I very rarely see them around here; when I do they're typically at least a quarter of a century old, however they were common as lice on a rat in Colorado where it's pretty windy. I'm betting that's what she's seeing.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I rarely see those type around here either (in PA). When I do, they also are on older homes.