Trouble down the line

Norm

This house was almost completed when the buyer decided to have the builder add a swimming pool. Keep in mind, here in S. Florida, homes are built on slab on grade. No spread footers just a thickened edge with 2 #5 rebar. I advised the client not to put anything heavy in this portion of the home.

Download Attachment: icon_bitmap.gif excavation 1.bmp

1553.09 KB

Download Attachment: icon_bitmap.gif excavation 2.bmp

1535.24 KB

By the time the contractor forms the pool shell, shoots it, and backfills it, this structure will go from slab on grade to cantilevered.

NORM SAGE

I've attempted to resize the images. Hope this helps. Here are the previous two.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif excavation 3.jpg

150.16 KB

I forgot this one. This is a 16" X 16" poured column with 4 #5 rebar supported by an isolated footer. The column is/was designed to support the imposed load of the cantilevered concrete tile roof above. I only hope the roof can support the weight of the column and footer which will soon be hanging freely.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif excavation 2.jpg

124.6 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif excavation 4.jpg

154.3 KB

Is this any better?

NORM SAGE

The local building code requires the edge of the swimming pool to be no closer to any portion of the building than 5 feet. There was plenty of room. They just overexcavated. The code also requires shoring if the angle of repose is violated. They ignored that requirement also.

NORM SAGE