flex tailpiece

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

I'm not quick on plumbing code references either, but I would say it is wrong (code).

For your report, just write the fact that flexible drain lines will plug up easier, drain poorly, and that smooth walled drain pipes should be used. To heck with the code when it comes to common sense.

That is exactly what I will to do.

In New Jersey, we have what's called the Uniform Construction Code. It's a large Blue book (not the IRC book) that references other books (ie IRC, NEC etc.)

Section 5:23-3.8 Products violating the code.

3) Plumbing materials/supplies:

i All purpose solvent cement, except transition glues permitted in the plumbing subcode.

ii Clear PB piping.

iii Flexible traps and tailpieces.

In another part of the book, it states that any manufacture or distributor that sells products violating the code must stop selling those items once they are served notice by the construction official. I guess the construction officials don't visit Home Depot or Lowes.

Here's my macro:

[0003a]Flex drain observed: these are prohibited by New Jersey's Uniform Construction Code. The flex drain should be replaced due to frequent clogging.

IRC 2000

P3002.3.1. Drainage. Drainage fittings shall have a smooth interior waterway of the same diameter as the piping served. All fittings shall conform to the type of pipe used Drainage fittins shall have no ledges, shoulders, or reductions which can retard or obstruct drainage flow in the piping.

Drainage fittings shall have a smooth interior waterway of the same diameter as the piping served. All fittings shall conform to the type of pipe used. Drainage fittings shall have no ledges, shoulders or reductions which can retard or obstruct drainage flow in the piping. Threaded drainage pipe fittings shall be of the recessed drainage type, black or galvanized. Drainage fittings shall be designed to maintain one-fourth unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent slope) grade. (IRC P3002.3.1)

Flex drain observed: these are prohibited by New Jersey's Uniform Construction Code. The flex drain should be replaced due to frequent clogging.

I don't remember ever having an issue with anything Darren has written but I'm not diggin the boiler in this case. Maybe something like:

Flex drain observed: these are prohibited by New Jersey's Uniform Construction Code. The flex drain should be replaced due to the likelihood of frequent clogging.