garage door outlet location?

jgclancy

I have a garage with a dropped ceiling installed. The outlet for the garage door opener is above the dropped ceiling attached to the rafter.It is close for cord to reach. Can the outlet be located where it is or should it be at the height of the dropped ceiling and visible?What does NEC code say about this outlet location?

Jim C.

I believe NEC says you can't have appliance cords passing through walls, ceilings and such. Will have to search a bit to find the specific reference.

So I believe the correct installation would be to run some conduit from the hidden junction box on the rafter to a new junction box mounted on the suspended ceiling and extend the wiring.

This is at least as wrong as what you've got, but if it were my house, I'd install a duplex receptacle in a plastic remodel box mounted in the ceiling tile, and wire it to an appliance cord that gets plugged into the receptacle on the rafter. That way if the tile ever had to be removed you just unplug it.

A very similar arrangement is used in high end bath remodels to power a drawer for the lady's electric necessities. I can hear the cries already, but the NKBA apparently thinks it's ok to close a plugged in curling iron in a drawer, the idea came from one of the design mags they sponsor that I get at my day job.

Tom

I don't see it as particularly dangerous but in the back of my mind I recall the idea that an appliance wire can't go through a ceiling. I'd have to have it flush with the dropped ceiling. I assume I'd have to use a piece of wood and attach outlet to that so it's not floating.

I just wanted to be sure and wondered what the specific NEC rule was. Always like to have the exact reason so if anyone comes up with it...thanks

Jim C.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe you are all refering to the following:

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted

in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the

following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,

suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar

openings

(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted

to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the

provisions of 368.56(B)

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located

above suspended or dropped ceilings

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted

in this Code

(7) Where subject to physical damage

Thanks PA. I knew the rule existed but I just couldn't remember exactly where. A new debate arose when I asked an electrician about this problem. If we just remove the ceiling panel and leave that panel open for direct access to the receptacle is the cord still

going through the ceiling as whole. I have to admit I don't recall seeing a drop ceiling in any other garage.Receptacle is almost always at ceiling height right next to opener.

Jim C.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Chad Fabry

What constitutes "through"? If 1/2 the ceiling were removed and the cord ran to the receptacle through the hole, would that be "through"? What if the entire ceiling tile was removed?

If the receptacle was visible and easily accessible (meaning less than arms length beyond the ceiling) it seems it would be ok. I guess then you could write it up as only a cosmetic jack legged job. Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of the drop ceiling?