Burner Nozzle Replacement

fabaldwin

How often does the nozzle require changing on the Riello 40 Series F3 burner? My furnace is approximately 10 years old, and to the best of my knowledge the nozzle has never been changed. The furnace is working fine at present, and fuel consumption is acceptable. There are no issues at present, but I would like to know the recommended service/replacement intervals so I can have proper preventative maintenance performed if/when required. Thank you in advance for your assistance with my inquiry.

Originally posted by MTL_Inspet_Man

usually to avoid any issues and get the best possible efficiency nozzle should be replaced yearly.

when one has a yearly service and maintenance contract this is usually done during the yearly service and inspection as wellas verfying filters and tune up of the burner.

I do have it serviced each year in the fall, but the tech has never mentioned changing the nozzle. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by fabaldwin

How often does the nozzle require changing on the Riello 40 Series F3 burner? My furnace is approximately 10 years old, and to the best of my knowledge the nozzle has never been changed. The furnace is working fine at present, and fuel consumption is acceptable. There are no issues at present, but I would like to know the recommended service/replacement intervals so I can have proper preventative maintenance performed if/when required. Thank you in advance for your assistance with my inquiry.

I gently recommend that you call the manufacturer, and get the info from the horse's mouth. Surely, they'll have a tech who'll answer tech questions...

WJ

I agree with Walter's advice. However, my experience and knowledge would strongly recommend replacement of the nozzle every year. Oil burners require annual maintenance, regardless of the mfg's recommendation. Fuel oil properties are regional. Nozzles are curious little buggers because they are quite complex, yet ordinary appearing.

Originally posted by Les

I agree with Walter's advice. However, my experience and knowledge would strongly recommend replacement of the nozzle every year. Oil burners require annual maintenance, regardless of the mfg's recommendation. Fuel oil properties are regional. Nozzles are curious little buggers because they are quite complex, yet ordinary appearing.

I'm begining to see the common concensus is changing the nozzle yearly. Seems like a good plan. Spend a little now to save a lot later. Thanks for the advice. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

George Lanthier, a oil service expert who writes articles for Fuel Oil News, recommends a triple filtration of oil to keep the oil clean. He has run nozzle at his home for over 5 years with out problems.

Its a method that I recommend to home owners that have problems with nozzle fouling problems along with a tank treatment product to remove sludge.

Triple filtration starts at the tank with an empty filter cannister followed with a 20-50 micron filter cannister and finished at the burner with a 5-10 micron filter. George has a vacuum gage attached to the outlet of the 20-50 micron filter to monitor for filter fouling.id="blue">

Gary,

Can't argue with George's recommendations. But, the average person just does not have the inclination to do that sort of thing. To most folks, fuel oil is nasty stuff. You and I may change our filters, but the ribbon clerk types will screw it up something fierce!

Oil furnaces are normally protected by three filters. The first at the oil tank, the second at the pump and the third at the nozzle itself. I am surprised that the nozzle does not get changed every time. The business makes money and changing the nozzle reduces the chance of problems during that heating season.

The only filter we did not change every year was the filter at the pump. From their experience of being in the heating business since 1923, our oil company said every three years was sufficient.

• 4 weeks later...