The thieves are becoming more skilled . . .

Bain

That doesn't stop the junkies, 'cuz it requires them to think. I've seen folks get on roofs and smash apart old cast iron vent stacks for the scrap cost, meaning they'll work their butts off all night for about 12 cents.

I've got a customer/friend in the scrap business. If you want to have a laugh, sit at the loading dock and watch the goofs come in with a load of scrap, and then get told it's worth about $1.

One of the more interesting things I've seen lately is some goofballs trying to steal the entrance ramp guardrails to the Skyway down on Stony Island Ave.

What about the catalytic converter thing? Folks steal those around here and make several dozen dollars per unit.

Originally posted by kurt

What about the catalytic converter thing? Folks steal those around here and make several dozen dollars per unit.

How are they stripped from a car? With a hacksaw? I'd kick someone straight in the nuts if I saw him squiggled beneath a car ripping off a catalytic converter.

" . . . Oh, I'm sorry. Did that hurt, Mr. Car Thief?"

Originally posted by Bain

Originally posted by kurt

How are they stripped from a car? With a hacksaw? I'd kick someone straight in the nuts if I saw him squiggled beneath a car ripping off a catalytic converter.

Sawzall.

WJid="blue">