Hard Wired Smoke Detectors

blazenut

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but i have run into this a couple times now on some high end home inspections. I test the hard wired smoke detector by pressing and holding the button, they all sound their alarms... press and hold again and they stop... then every 30 seconds to a minute or so, "chirp"...."chirp"... and they are hard wired? I got a call back because of this a few weeks ago... thoughts?

Originally posted by blazenut

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but i have run into this a couple times now on some high end home inspections. I test the hard wired smoke detector by pressing and holding the button, they all sound their alarms... press and hold again and they stop... then every 30 seconds to a minute or so, "chirp"...."chirp"... and they are hard wired? I got a call back because of this a few weeks ago... thoughts?

First, in addition to being hardwired, they probably also have backup batteries. Occasionally, testing the horns will place just enough drain on an old battery to cause it to chirp. Just tell them to replace the batteries.

Second, if you're hitting the hush buttons, the units will chirp about once per minute for about 15 minutes afterwards to let you know that they're in hush mode. Ignore them. If it doesn't stop after 15 minutes, see the first paragraph.

- Jim Katen, Oregon