First time seeing this

Robert Jones

I am not real sure what to say about this configuration. The original home was built in 1924 with an addition added approx 10 years ago. There is a mix of plastic, copper and galvanized water branch lines. The end of this water branch line, which in actuality, is the main feed line to which other lines branch out, has a cap on one end. This same material is also used as a branch line to other items like an exterior hose bib. These pics are from the crawl space under the addition. Comments? Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Click to Enlarge
2009217215720_IMG_1513%20(Medium).jpg

80.6 KB

Click to Enlarge
2009217215750_IMG_1514%20(Medium).jpg

80.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
2009217215821_IMG_1516%20(Medium).jpg

58.01 KB

Hi Robert,

the pipe looks like PE (poly- ethylene) water piping. It is not allowed for use inside living space (much like PVC). I do not know if that has always been the case, nor do I know what WA allowed when it was installed.

Nice hose clamps by the way.

I would probably say something about the fact that PE piping is not allowed in that application, and recommend a plumber correct it.

ABS is allowed to be use as a supply line, not as a branch distribution material. I never see it it used anywhere except on systems served by a well or spring.

FTR, I almost wrote 'except on well supplied systems'. Walter would have had a heyday.

Put a hyphen between "well" and "supplied" and I would've had a Happy-Go-Fun Day.

WJ