Zoning board position

Times are tough. There is an opening on the local Zoning Board of Appeals that I am considering applying for but before I do; does anybody know if there would be any potential issues with my NY HI license?

I do know that local building officials that also do HI's cannot perform them in their official jurisdiction. Would the same provision apply to zoning board members?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

I don't think that there's be an issue, as long as you don't advertise your zoning board status in any of your advertising and as long as nothing in your reports ever mentions zoning, which they shouldn't, since zoning is none of a home inspector's business?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Zoning isn't about Building Code or construction standards. It's about conformance or compliance issues related to zoning, i.e., setbacks, density, fences, approved use, change of use, building height, etc., etc.

I don't know about NY law, but I know about zoning. I was a planning and zoning administrator a long, long time ago.

Good point. You could find yourself serving two masters, which we know isn't possible.

If times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do. That's how I ended up a Z&P admin.

Small town Z&P administration really, really sucks. You're always having to step on toes of folks you see in the grocery store, and every person with an axe to grind tries to use you to grind it.