Presidential Shingles in Valleys

SWagar

Has anyone had any experience with a woven valley of Certainteed's Presidential Shingles? Six of the valleys in today's house were woven, not closed cut or open. They looked like they should leak. The roof was approximately 4 years old (or so I was told). I did not see any signs of leaking on any of the ceilings, all of which were vaulted. The only attic was under the roof with an open style valley. I called my favorite roofer he said he thought it could be done "but it would look like crap", which they did. We (the roofer and I) are heading off now to find the manufacturer's installation instructions. Kinda' funny how they decided to do the valleys in two diferent ways.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200931223314_IMG_3976.jpg

98.4 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200931223339_IMG_3977.jpg

119.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200931223415_IMG_3979.jpg

100.31 KB

Has anyone had any experience with a woven valley of Certainteed's Presidential Shingles? Six of the valleys in today's house were woven, not closed cut or open. They looked like they should leak. The roof was approximately 4 years old (or so I was told). I did not see any signs of leaking on any of the ceilings, all of which were vaulted. The only attic was under the roof with an open style valley. I called my favorite roofer he said he thought it could be done "but it would look like crap", which they did. We (the roofer and I) are heading off now to find the manufacturer's installation instructions. Kinda' funny how they decided to do the valleys in two diferent ways.

No. Woven valleys aren't allowed with Presidentials. Besides, those valleys aren't woven, they're just a mess. I describe that roofing job as vandalism.

The Certainteed Shingle Applicator's Manual, Chapter 15 is here:

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/pr ... nstall.pdf

On the first page, it says, "Open valleys are recommended; however, closed-cut valleys are also acceptable. Woven valleys are not recommended when applying Presidential and Presidential TL because the laminated shingle can buckle and become damaged when shaped into the valley."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

You are right, they are terrible, I told my client that they look more like a funnel than a valley. And that the weave was incorrect. After further discussion with my roofer (I sent him photos last night) he thought that they were half baked closed cut valleys. They laid the shingles but never cut them. Which is why we see shingles out of place. I did find a cut sheet for those shingles and Certainteed strongly recommends open valleys with metal but don't really say no way. At this point we know the valleys were probably done by a monkey on Acid and need work!!